To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

June 7, 2016

Guest Bedroom Reveal | Lowcountry Inspired Bedroom

Remember when I told you how I wanted to completely change our guest bedroom from the storage room that it once was? Y'all, when I say storage room, I don't say that to mean that it was an organized storage space, because it was the farthest thing from that. We basically were lazy and tossed items all about the floor of the room, so seeing it now from where it was just makes my heart flutter with joy! I'm so glad it's done and it turned out just how I wanted it to.

Here are some before pictures. It didn't dawn on me until we were halfway through taking out the clutter and gutting the room to take pictures, but trust me when I tell you it looked worse than this.





Needless to say it wasn't my cup of tea. Beige walls (one side sheet-rocked due to a hole that used to be there), and lots and lots of crap!


Tarl did so great on the headboard. He built exactly what I had envisioned and drew out for him. I wanted it to have a "shiplap" look, slightly distressed, and I wanted to make sure that all of the character from the wood shown through the paint. That's exactly what it turned out to be. In fact, he couldn't have picked better wood to build this headboard, because underneath, instead of having brown tones, it had aqua tones, which was perfect for this lowcountry inspired room.

The bedroom suit, along with the chevron decorative pillows came from Walmart. The decorative pillows were actually in the lawn and garden section for an outdoor patio set, but as soon as I saw them I knew that's exactly what I wanted as far as pattern and color goes. It gives it the pop of color it needs to break up the gray and white.


I tried to do a close up so you could see the blue/green color coming through. 

This is the headboard he built before I painted it. My guy did one hell of a job!


I found two dark brown side tables at a garage sale (thanks to my mother-in-law!). After three coats of white chalk paint, voila!



The blue vase along with the dried marsh grass I found at Ross. The picture frame was a wedding gift from several years ago and believe it or not, Tarl took this picture while he was out kayaking one day. 




The blue lantern I purchased from Lowe's last year. The candle and seahorse I purchased from Ross and my mother-in-law gave me the conch shell.


I love the distressed paint job on this seahorse candle holder!



 The captains wheel clock I purchased from Walmart.


My favorite spot in this room is what I like to call the reading nook. When it's sunny outside there is so much natural light that comes through the window, even with the blinds, that it's the perfect, coziest little spot to sit and read (of course, they have been Elin Hilderbrand novels).


The crab pillow (and my most favorite pillow in our entire house!) along with the plush blanket was purchased from Target. The curtains and the curtain rod were purchased from Walmart. The chair we got from Target last year at a steal of a price!



I knew I wanted a decorative wall with lots of colors, pictures, sayings and I wanted all the sizes and colors to be different so they would stand out more. I purchased all of the frames from the Dollar Tree and found all of the prints online except for the two pictures, which we took, and the scripture, which I just did on a simple paint document and printed on regular typing paper.




 Mightier than the waves of the sea is His love for you.
Psalm 93:4


All in all I think it turned out great and we did this entire room on a very tight budget and still had money to spare after it was done. I couldn't be more proud of the work that we put into this. Tarl building the headboard, all the painting I did on the headboard and side tables, and painting the walls was a family effort, even Cadence helped with that :)




No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger