To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

March 8, 2016

Tuesday Talk

I have always wanted a farm style table. They're earthy, southern and simply chic, however, brand new they are incredibly expensive. I've even found some resale sites that have wanted an arm and a leg for them and I'd still have to sand them down and re-paint them because used, they have your normal chips and daily wear and tear. Well my sweet husband said he could build me one, and wouldn't you know it turned out stunning. I couldn't' have asked for it to be any prettier. Well yesterday came time to stain it and I knew I wanted the top really dark so we purchased ebony stain. Y'all, dark wasn't the word, it was straight up black paint, not stain! It didn't even seep into the wood to show the knots or wood grain like stain is supposed to, it looked like we had purchased and painted our table with regular black paint. I was in tears! Tarl had worked so hard on this table and within seconds the top of the table was destroyed (well the part I had painted before I realized that it wasn't seeping into the wood like it should've been). Well sweet boy finished painting the table top for me, then took a sander and sanded the entire top down. So now we're back to an unfinished table top with little highlights of darkness around certain areas of the wood grain. Thankfully, this will do nothing but add character and give it more dimension and an authentic gorgeous farm style look, but for that hour yesterday, it was awful. Thank goodness Tarl is more patient than me when it comes to that stuff because I thought he was going to have to re-build the entire top part of the table! *crisis averted*


This week the lowcountry is finally supposed to have temps in the 80s. I will gladly welcome that weather with open arms, or should I say shorts! Over the winter I stocked up on all kinds of shorts and now I can't wait to wear them. Shorts and dresses and sandals and flip flops and tank tops...come on spring! During my lunch break today I walked into Target and they had the cutest colored shorts in kids sizes; bright corals and minty blues. Target also has some great Easter items out. I got tons of stuff in the $1 spot and y'all know how much I love that dollar spot! I also went ahead and got Cadence the pink Peeps pillow to put in her basket. Not gonna lie, I kinda wanted one for myself, they are that cute!


Disney is right around the corner. It's so close now we can taste it and all three of us are ready to hit the road for a vacation. It's about time to start packing and I've found the easiest way to pack for long trips are to plan out what you're wearing each day, writing the date on a large ziploc bag, storing the clothes in the bag and voila...all your packing is done and you don't have to waste time each morning thinking about what you're going to wear for the day. Plus you know, I got some wardrobe plans for me and C. #DisneyTwinsies


So the other day there was a news articles posted by a white news anchor. It was a picture of a few people in a memorial fountain where it stated "no wading in the fountain". Mind you, the people who were wading in the fountain were white people as well. The news anchor posted about how they showed no sign of respect, as it was a memorial fountain in honor of soldiers and military personnel. I agree whole heartedly...do we not care anymore about respect and honor in lieu of a photo op? Ridiculous, but I digress...as I clicked on the image there were thousands of comments but one stood out from the rest as it had drawn several replies. It was a black woman who had stated (and I'm going off of how she worded it) "watch all these white people going to get mad because he's posting a picture of white people in the fountain when they shouldn't be". Well, I'm not sure if she didn't take the time to look, but the man that posted it was in fact, white. He was disgracing other white people for their ignorance. I am so sick and tired of every little thing turning into a race issue, and I mean every little thing. Race issues can come in any color, hispanic, black, white, doesn't matter. We have enough issues in our country and race shouldn't be one of them. I'm so sick of hearing that black lives matter, blue lives matter, white lives matter...ugh...you know what my friends, ALL LIVES MATTER! God loves each and every single one of us regardless of our skin color!


Why do shows have to kill off characters you love?! Why? Spoiler alert if you haven't seen Season 2 of The 100...you've been warned. So last night I watched the episode where Finn was killed off. Finn y'all! As tears were streaming my face and Tarl laughing at me crying over a show my heart broke into 1000 pieces...well, I guess I should say 100 seeing as how that's more fitting with the show title and all. Seriously though, I was pissed. I told Tarl I was over the show and that they could've killed off anyone else but him, but nope, they chose him. The main freaking guy of the show. Why do they do this to us? Rant over (for now).


Lilly Pulitzer has killed her new spring collection. I am loving these new prints but Flamenco is by far my most favorite. I'm not one to get more than one item in the same print but Flamenco might just break the rule for me. Pink and green and pineapples, need I say more?

My LP shorts collection game is strong so I wasn't wanting to add anymore at the moment but seeing these Callahan's is too tempting!


As a mom and a woman in her late 20s, I'll be the first one to tell you that crop tops probably aren't a good idea but I am absolutely smitten with this set! I obviously wouldn't wear this to trot around town in but how great would this be for summer vacations and date nights? Not something you'd wear on the regular, but for those special nights when you want to be a little daring. Thoughts?



Flamenco Tootsie Double Pouch Wristlet

Like I said, I do not need anymore shorts, at least that's what I try and tell myself, but how gorgeous is this Ooh La La Print? It screams spring with it's pink and mango hues!



This Enna top is stunning! The fact that it shows your shoulders is what draws me in but the little poms on the bottom make it perfect! It looks so light weight to wear in the spring or summer, but you could just as easily wear it with jeans and stilletos come fall.





No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger