To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

May 31, 2016

It's all about Routine

This week I am mixed with emotions. I have never NOT worked, so the huge transition that is about to take place, both financially and in general is going to be most certainly something to get used to.
I'm excited, nervous, and so absolutely ready to start this journey. I only have a short three day work week before I end my time as a working mom, and y'all, I'm so ready to be 100% committed to family life.

The biggest thing for me is to ensure that Cadence and I are proactive throughout the summer. I don't want to spend our days in front of a TV or playing on the iPad when there is plenty to be done, but on that same note, our lack of "fun money" (as I call it) is depleted due to the fact of going from two incomes to one, so it's about finding fun things for us to do together, while on a strict budget.

The first idea I thought of is going to take up the first part of our morning and setting this routine will help our minds stay active throughout the summer, all the while not leave us bored trying to find something to do.

I'm going to purchase two inexpensive notebooks from the store. One will be for Cadence and the other for myself. Each morning once we wake up, brush our teeth and get ourselves presentable, we'll spend some time writing in our journals about the previous day. The things we did, or saw, games we played, etc. This will also serve as a great memento for the summer of 2016. Something for us to look back on when she's in her 20s :)

After we've finished writing in our journals and the coffee (and hot chocolate)  has been poured, then it's time to start on summer learning. Cadence's teachers gave each student in the class on the last day a school a book filled with tons of practice sheets and problem solving questions to keep their minds fresh and active while they are out of school. This is one huge reason we love the school she attends, they think about the children always, even on the last day of school and the start of summer. This is a great idea in my opinion. I'm not going to force Cadence to do hours upon hours of school work during summer break, but it'll be nice to take about 15/20 minutes out of our days and focus on some school material to ensure she keeps her mind active.

Once we've finished writing in our journals and worked in her school book, then I want to take about an hour and read. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading these past few weeks. I've started on my 8th novel and by the looks of it, will probably be finished with that one this evening (I love me some Elin Hilderbrand books!). Cadence's mema has stocked up her bookshelf with tons of books suitable for her age. Lots of Junie B. Jones and similar titles. Cadence enjoys reading herself, so this will give each of us some quiet time to read upon ourselves and a great ending to what I like to call "the quiet part" of our day.

After that's all said and done it'll be time for lunch. Cadence, like me, loves to cook and bake, so anything that I can get her actively involved in food wise, she loves, plus who am I to turn down free help in the kitchen? Honestly though, I love spending time with her in the kitchen and seeing her eyes light up as she gets to help me cook or bake. We'll also spend this time prepping for dinner.

Once lunch is served and the house is straightened up with usual chores (laundry, dishes, making beds, dusting, etc.) then it'll be our energy burning time. Lots of outside play time, whether it be swimming in the pool, jumping on the trampoline, playing on the playground, coloring with sidewalk chalk, helping Granddaddy on the farm, whatever it may be, it'll be lots of time outside playing.

There will of course be sporadic days throughout the summer where we'll do something super fun like go to the local water park, go see a movie, visit the zoo or go spend some time with her cousins playing. There will also be lazy days, where I'm sure neither one of us will want to write in a journal, read a book or prep for dinner and that's perfectly okay too!

Today I plan on making some sort of list to help us through summer, something super simple but fun, like a day where we stay in our PJs all day, or visiting the library, having a picnic, things like that.

Either way, summer has officially begun and I can't wait to spend it with my family.

Please continue prayers for my mom. She's still in the hospital in ICU. It's most definitely been a tough time, but we have faith and hope and continue to pray for her recovery.

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger