To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

January 6, 2017

I'm Back!!!

I have decided, after a very much long hiatus, to get back to blogging. Losing my mom was hard, the hardest thing I've ever gone through, and now, after 4 months, it still feels like yesterday, for all of us, not just me.

Cadence had a follow up appointment yesterday with her diabetic educator, and on the way home, we just cried thinking about mom, her grandma. Still fresh and still raw but I know I will see my mom again one day and the hope and peace that gives me is beyond anything I can relate into words.

I thought my first post in a while and my first post of 2017 should be a Five on Friday, so let's get started...


-one-

Cadence was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 7, eleven days after my mother passed away. Needless to say September was a horrible month for our family! She has far exceeded any bravery that I could imagine for a girl her age. She pricks her own finger, gives her own injections, and is right there learning through all the ropes along with Tarl and myself. She amazes me! Yesterday we received her CGM or continue glucose monitor, which monitors what her blood sugar is every 5 minutes! It's such an amazing piece of medical equipment and gives me more peace of mind throughout the day now that we know what her blood sugar is at all times, plus it will help manage it better. She chose the pink meter, naturally.


After spending two days this week at her diabetic doctor (one follow up and one for the CGM) we decided to head to the mall for a little girls day. This sweet girl sure does love making wishes.



-two-

The Lilly Pulitzer sale that is going on through 1pm today is by far the biggest one I've ever seen. The prices are extremely discounted and they've continued to add items throughout the day yesterday and even this morning. Here are some of the beauties that I've managed to snag...





I've been eyeing both of those tops for a while and now that they are less than half price I don't feel so bad getting them. I also got a pair of mini callahan shorts for Cadence's Easter basket. It's never to early to start prepping for the next holiday!


-three-


There is a mom in our area that has a Type 1 son. We have truly bonded over this experience and have become friends. She got this shirt for Cadence and I couldn't love it more. Pancreatically challenged, chronically awesome. It's a great T1D inside joke!


-four-

Speaking of Lilly, let's face it, Lilly is warm weather clothes and from what I hear that's something that is about to opposite of what we're about to get. They're talking snow, ice, freezing temps. Um...nope! Don't get me wrong, I love fall and crisp chilly weather, but not a high of 32 degrees!


-five-

I leave you with this on this wonderful Friday morning. It was enough to make me giggle.


So true!





2 comments

  1. So glad to see you back! And still so sorry to hear about your Mom, I know how first hand how hard that is. Unfortunately it never gets better but you do learn to cope. And way to go Cadence, way to be a champ! We are supposed to get covered here in GA too but I am really hoping it just blows on through! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is saddened for your difficult end to 2016. I couldn't imagine the heartache over your loss and the worry over your sweet girl's diagnosis. Prayers coming to you from NC! (The last graphic is classic! Love it!)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger