To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

January 9, 2017

Snow way!!!

I'm that person that freaks out about snow. That's me! I'm the one who scrapes up what little bit of dust we get here in the lowcountry, to try and build a miniature snowman, and guess what, it's pitiful. I've always wanted to see tons of snow, play in it, build snowmen, have a snowball fight, make a snow angel, alas, we just don't get that white powdery goodness down here.

Talks of a winter storm was discussed all throughout last week and it just so happened to only be 3 hours north of us, so we did something completely spontaneous on Saturday. We packed up and started driving north until we hit snow, and boy did we ever see snow!
























I will say this, it was everything we had ever dreamed as none of us had ever seen snow before, not like this anyways, not that we can remember. It wasn't as cold as I thought it was going to be. The snow itself was freezing but the temperature wasn't near as cold as they had anticipated it to be, which made for a much better day. We played for a solid hour. It was a day full of memories that I will forever cherish close to my heart. 

I made sure to pack up a second pair of clothes for each of us, as I knew we would get soaked playing in the snow and I sure am glad we did. Our fingers and toes were freezing, but SO worth it for everything we got to do. 

Once we got changed we headed back home. I will say this about Type 1 diabetes and snow, for Cadence anyways-as everyone is different, it made her blood sugar drop, drastically! We were getting low alerts and immediately checked her blood sugar. Sure enough it was low. We gave her a snack and even that didn't bring her up. Then we gave her a juice and another snack and finally her numbers came back into a good safe range. Scary moment, but we handled it. Forewarning moment for any other type 1 mama's reading this. Weather can change your blood sugar! Now we know.

The rest of the weekend was spent pretty low key as it got pretty chilly. I cleaned the house really well (oh, what fun!) and stocked up on groceries. I started reading The Beach Club by Elin Hilderbrand. It's been months since I've read one of her books and I almost forgot how great of a writer she is. Ten pages in and I'm already hooked. It's got me dreaming of summer weather and Lilly Pulitzer, which to be honest, the winter doesn't stop this girl from wearing her Lilly :)



We just layer it with super cute ruffle tops and pants, and of course, big bows!

Happy Monday friends.



No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger