To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

January 5, 2018

New year. Same ole me. Same ole blog?

Are any of you still out there? I get it's been almost a year since my last post. Truth is, after everything that happened last year, family became #1. Family is always #1, but I didn't care about anything else, most certainly writing here, but if I'm being honest, I knew I'd come back. I love writing here and sharing my thoughts, ideas, and life in the lowcountry, so I put my blog on private and have read my favorite blogs every morning waiting for the right time to come back and start a blog post of my own. Here I am.

We have LOTS to catch up on so let's get started, shall we?

My last post was January of last year, how crazy is that? Needless to say we have a year to catch up on. On the other other hand though, the time rushed by and here we are, in a completely new year. Last year we started Cadence on her insulin pump which has been so beneficial in assisting her type 1 diabetes management. Her numbers have been so fantastic, that along with the dexcom, we have gotten her A1C down to 5.8, that's an A1C that a non-diabetic would have.

If you've been a reader for some time, than you know our love for Disney. If you're just now joining in on reading then be warned, we love us some Disney. This past year we just couldn't swing it. Financially we try to go every two years and with just having gone in 2016, it just wasn't going to happen. However, we went and visited with family in Orlando back in March so we made sure to make a reservation at a Disney restaurant, The Grand Floridian Cafe, for brunch, and then after we rode the monorail. It was awful! The food was delicious, but riding the monorail and seeing the castle so close but not being able to enter the parks was torture. On the ride home we booked for Disney 2018. What seemed like SO long at the time is now quickly upon us! We leave for 9 nights/8 days this coming April. To say we are excited is an understatement!


Along with Type 1 Diabetes, Cadence also got diagnosed with celiac disease. Disney is the best with food allergies. Gluten free Mickey waffles for the win!




Riding the monorail while simultaneously booking our 2018 trip!
If you really look close, you can see me tearing up being so close to Magic Kingdom and knowing good and well we couldn't go in! Hah!


This picture was taken in Mount Dora, Florida. We spent two wonderful days with my Aunt Nancy, Uncle Eddie and Aunt Jan. 



April was a fun one. Naturally, we all still miss my mom so very much, but of course, my dad has taken it the hardest. We try to spend as much time together as we can, and last April we spent some time at the strawberry patch. It was such a great day!









Most importantly in April, we celebrated the resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We also took lots and lots of pictures.







We kept busy throughout the summer. Lots of trips to the beach and the riverside. We took several trips to the library and read our way through the extreme heat we have here in SC. We visited a museum in Columbia, along with our state capitol building. We went to the zoo. Cadence attended her first summer camp for four days. She enjoyed it thoroughly and had an amazing time. She said her most favorite thing was horseback riding.




Once the start of fall began in September, it started off not so great, Hurricane Irma! Tarl has a job that does not allow him to leave when a hurricane approaches, so Cadence and I were off to a girls trip, just the two of us, all the way to Gatlinburg, TN. It was the only place we could find with availability. I was a nervous wreck. I had never been that far without my husband, especially by myself. What I found on our journey, was that it wasn't as bad as I thought, in fact, there were moments that were amazing, like Cadence and I enjoying the beautiful mountains in Cades Cove.



We spent four days in chilly weather, mountain views, shopping and missing daddy. It was fun but we were beyond ready to get home. As soon as Tarl called and said it was safe to travel back, we did that same day. Our cabin was rented through Thursday morning, but he called on Tuesday morning and we left that day! 

Although it had a rocky beginning, September sure did have a beautiful end. My brother finally proposed to the girl of all our dreams! She has been such a blessing to our family, and when he finally proposed we were all ecstatic. There wedding was like something out of Southern Living magazine. Tarl, Cadence and I were all blessed enough to be a part of it.



October brought along with it my most favorite season, Fall. We did your basic fall (but necessary) things. Pumpkin patch, carving pumpkins, trick-or-treating, you name it, we did it. I adore fall.






November and December were spent celebrating the holidays the best way we know how, baking and family. I love Thanksgiving and Christmas and they always go by so quickly so I cherish every moment and memory that I can. We also celebrate our sweet girls birthday in December. Cannot believe she is another year older! Where has the time gone?! Cadence got chosen to be the lead in her ballet companies recital, The Nutcracker. She was awesome!











2017 was a crazy year. There were most definitely bad parts, but I always try to be optimistic and the good far outweighed the bad. I'm ready to see what 2018 has to offer for my family and I pray the Good Lord has wonderful plans for me and for you!

I'll share what we have planned for 2018 next time...



No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger