To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

January 6, 2018

Off to a great start | Plans for 2018

Snow in the lowcountry is a rare occurrence, and when it does indeed happen it's a light dusting that melts within an hour or two. It most certainly is never something that we can play in or really get our hands cold in.

When all our local weather stations predicted 5 inches of snow for us not many people believed them, I was one of those non-believers. I am so very happy to say that I was WRONG! We received a good 5 inches of snow, so much so that it is still on the ground today. Sure, it's not as thick or fluffy as day one, but it's still lingering, and y'all, it's beautiful! I sure wish we could get this at least once per year.

We have had so much fun making snowmen and snow angels, having snow ball fights, making snow ice cream (which was awful BTW), and eating tons and tons of fresh, white, fluffy snow. If you're new here I love photography and capturing moments. I was fortunate enough to get a lot of memories captured on camera.











It truly was such a fantastic way to bring in 2018!

Every two years we try and go on a long family vacation. As much as we'd love to do this annually, financially that's just not in the cards right now. So on the odd years we do a couple weekend trips here and there and on the even years we do our big one. Something Tarl and I always try and do once a year is a trip for just us two. It's great to have one on one time together with just him and I. 

Our last big trip was to Disney in 2016 and it was wonderful, you can read all about that trip here (I've also provided a link to my Disney Tips post which I find really helpful for families who are planning their first Disney trip):


We start planning our big trip the year before, so back in 2017 we threw out three ideas, a week long trip to visit the Northeast states, Washington, or Disney again. As much as we loved the thought of visiting our nations capital, it was definitely not at the top of our list between the three. What ultimately decided us going back to Disney was a weekend trip back in 2017 to Orlando while visiting family. We had brunch at a Disney resort and rode the monorail for kicks before driving back home. Seeing the castle grace the end of Main Street USA but not being able to actually go inside of Magic Kingdom was torture, so we knew right then and there it was Disney again, so we booked for April 2018. What seemed like such a long time back in March 2017 is now quickly approaching us now that we're in January 2018. We are now in the double digits of our trip and all three of us are impatiently waiting on April to get here. 

The weekend trip that Tarl and I want to take later on this year is NYC. There's just nothing like walking those city streets. New York City is my most favorite place in all of the US, to be honest, it even beats Disney for me, but Cadence isn't quite old enough in my opinion to walk the streets of Manhattan, so we'll save a trip to NYC for her later in the future. In the meantime however, if you've ever taken your children to NYC please give me ideas. I've been three times but never with my child.  Tarl and I are discussing mid-October of this year. I've been before in the Fall and it's beautiful seeing the city graced in oranges, reds and yellows. Central Park is stunning in Autumn. This is not an officially booked trip, but as soon as those flights for October open up, I plan on booking!

I plan on sharing all of our plans and dining reservations for Disney in an upcoming post, so stay tuned! Are there any fun places you have planned for this year? Do tell!

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger