To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

May 6, 2015

A little of this, and a little of that!

*I was a Gossip Girl follower, die hard.
I never missed an episode until the very last season. I can't remember watching even one episode so no spoilers on how it ends, k? Not sure why, life, I guess, but anyways I started watching from Season 1 recently and am now up to Season 4, I still love it!

My next series I'm thinking - Grey's Anatomy - although that's an unfinished series that's still going strong from what I hear.

*I kept up with the Met Gala  looks via Instagram. 

I thought Sofia Vergara was the best dressed. Beyonce was the worst dressed, even surpassing that hideous headpiece that SJP wore. Beyonce left very little to the imagination and in my opinion that's just very classless. Sure my shorts may be short and I may show a little cleavage now and again, but my goodness...Kim Kardashian's dress came in close 2nd to Beyonce's with the 'barely there' look.

I thought Rhianna's dress was just too much. I love a long train...for a wedding!

There were a few hits, but a whole lotta misses.

Again, just my opinion :)

I always look for Blake Lively. She never fails in the fashion industry, but she never did show.

*With Mother's Day fast approaching, we all need to take a minute to focus on this:


SO DAMN TRUE!

I was never an 'unruly' teen, but there were times where I was an ungrateful brat, looking back I wish I would have been there to slap myself. My parents did everything they could for all of their children. We are all blessed to have them in our lives, not just on Mother's Day or Father's Day, but 365 days of the year.

*Yesterda was the Cindo de Mayo celebration at Cadence's school.
Mother's arrived in the morning for breakfast burritos and dad's went at lunch time.
I arrived to a handmade paper flower for my hair, along with a beautiful necklace my sweet girl made for me. Each of their little desks were decorated with drawings they made for each of the moms. 
Love, love, love her!



Every day when I get home, after dinner, we go outside and I toss this large pink beach ball with Cadence. Every.Single.Day. It's our time and I look forward to it. Clearly, it's a favorite time for her too. Check out that same ball in her picture! Precious!

*Often times our little family gets into a dinner slump. It seems like the same ole food each week and quite frankly it gets boring. Last night we tried something completely different and it was delicious. I thought I'd share...

Salisbury Steak w/Mashed Potatoes

1 lb. ground beef
1 package of onion mix - we used Knorr's, but Lipton will work too
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 egg
Mashed Potatoes - We use Bob Evans
Jar of Heinz Beef Gravy

Mix the first 4 ingredients in a bowl. If the mixture seems dry, add water 1 tsp at a time, if needed.
We used one large egg so our mixture was perfect, no water was necessary.
Patty into an oval shape about 1/2" thick and saute, stove top, on medium heat in a pan that has been sprayed with a non-stick oil.

About 5 minutes on each side, give or take.

Once the patties are thoroughly cooked throughout, discard the grease in the pan (if any).
Add the jar of beef gravy and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

Serve over mashed potatoes.

We adored this meal, and it was a delicious change!

*We've also started Pizza Mondays in our house. Let's face it, on a Monday, the last thing you want to worry about is cooking your family a 3 course dinner, and then worry about the cleanup afterwards. Each Monday I pick up a pizza on the way home. My personal favorite is Papa John's. No one does what Papa John's does, truly! But it doesn't have to be anything like that. A lot of grocery stores sell plain pizza's with just cheese on it and you can add your own ingredients to it if you'd like, we do that too. It's quick, easy and delicious...and cleanup is a breeze!

*Y'all, I cannot get New York off my brain. My time spent there with Tarl was truly magical.
The city was stunning and I know there is so much more to see and do. Tarl asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day, I told him New York. I told him I wanted New York for my birthday also, as well as Christmas, and any pertinent gift giving holiday there after :)

*I have had Keratosis Pillaris all of my life. Basically they are tiny little bumps on your skin, most specifically on your upper legs and on the back of your arms. They are hardly noticeable from a short distance but up close you can see those little bumps. They also have a rough feel to them, but it's never bothered me because like I said, there hardly noticeable and it in no way effects your health.

The only thing that bothers me is on a self conscious level. When Tarl goes to rub on my legs I know he feels those tiny bumps (just like chill bumps). He's never once said anything to me and I know he doesn't care, but because of that I've tried several exfoliants trying to smooth out the feeling of them, all to no avail.

Two weeks ago I purchased coconut oil for the very first time. You hear people ranting and raving about the benefits of this oil, and I wanted to try it myself. I brought it home, opened the package and realized it was greasy, just like regular vegetable oil greasy and I thought, "what in the hell am I going to do with this?" So I google searched 'things to do with coconut oil' and one was, make your own scrub. Equal parts sugar and coconut oil.

In all honesty, my legs have never been smoother. In two short weeks, rubbing this homemade scrub on me has not only reduced my bumps, but you cannot feel them, at all!

Tarl even noticed a difference. He said my legs have never been smoother. It's just like any other part of my skin, soft to the touch. I make my scrub once every week (usually on a Sunday) and put it in a small container, it lasts me all week until the following Sunday. You just mix equal parts sugar and coconut oil and store. I normally do 2 tbs at a time, but next time I'm going to use the entire jar of coconut oil, along with sugar and store in mason jars.

(This would also be a great Mother's Day gift idea if you're on a budget. Mom would love some homemade body scrub in a mason jar with a ribbon on top)




No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger