To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

February 24, 2016

Sun, sand and a drink in my hand!

Well hey there and happy Wednesday. I can't believe that we're already half way through the work week and I couldn't be happier about that. I'm linking up here for What's up Wednesday to answer some fun questions.




1 // This week we're eating lots of goodies including spaghetti and meatballs, cubed steak with garlic mashed potatoes, fried chicken salad with delicious spring mixed greens and Gorton's fish sticks (because sometimes you have to keep it simple!).

This past weekend I made something that settled my sweet tooth using saltine crackers. Yes, you read that right, I used crackers to make candy. Original post here, and I'm still snacking on it!



2 // Honestly, I've been reminiscing about warm days on a clear beach. Y'all, it has been a hot minute since I've seen gorgeous clear water and had my toes in some golden Bahamas sand and I can't take it anymore, so a group of us got together and planned a quick cruise this summer! Tarl and I are ecstatic and cannot wait. What started out as a simple text, grew into a cruise, and voila...we all met at my sister-in-law/brothers place and booked in a matter of minutes.

This is the crew going minus the babes! Hurry up summer!

The family trip is over spring break, but the adults trip is this summer. Cruises, for the most part, are pretty inexpensive considering all you get, but we also took advantage of a 30% savings and some free onboard credit which made it even more inexpensive. See you soon Bahamas, see ya soon!



3 // I'm loving that our friends and family are as spontaneous as we are and said yes to booking after only a quick text and a 5 minute conversation. A weekend away with Tarl would be great, but a weekend away with Tarl and family on a cruise...sign me up!

These have been our travel buddies for life, and this time my sis-in-law and brother are going too!



4 // We've been up to more home remodeling. Slowly but surely we're doing one room at a time and the kitchen was a room we were dreading the most because who in the heck wants to put on 3 coats of paint onto kitchen cabinets, and then lacquer them after? Not us...but we did and I'm glad because it looks great if I do say so myself. The transition from oak stain to white not only brightened up the space but made it seem so much bigger!


Next up, countertops, but that's months away. Tarl and I have to work ourselves up to home improvements.


5 // What I was dreading was this morning...my annual ladies checkup, that wonderful papsmeare and all. On a side note, who the hell came up with the term papsmeare...gross! Anyways, I was dreading it, and it's over, praise the Lord! 


6 // I've been working on getting my butt in shape and as of Monday, I have walked one mile each day. It's not much, but it's a mile more than what I was doing. Tarl and Cadence walk with me so it makes it easier having someone to talk to.


7 // I'm excited about Spring Break! I'm ready to have an entire week off of work, away from home, in Disney with my family. There's nothing like the magic of Disney with your family. It's just super special and memories that truly last a lifetime! With it drawing more near each day, it's been a daily topic of conversation.


Riding Dumbo! Can it be April already?



8 // I haven't been reading much lately but I thought to myself the other day how I want to get a good summer reading list for myself. However, I've been watching Criminal Minds non-stop on netflix and am now on season 9. If you haven't seen that show, get on it!


9 // I've been listening to a mixture of tunes lately. Every so often I'll get on an oldies kick. Not necessarily 60s music, but stuff that was back in the early 90s or early 00s and listen it to it non-stop. Nineties country has been my jam here recently.


10 // With the warmer temps, Lilly prints and neon colors have been gracing my pale skin! Spray tan anyone?!



11 // This weekend we are up to a whole lot of nothing. The thing about travel is it's costly. Ultimately you have to decide whats important, splurging on the weekends or splurging on travel. We pick the latter and always try and have low key weekends and save up for vacations. Lots of hanging out with friends and family and stacking cash in the mean time.


12 // Next month I'm looking forward to warmer days and celebrating eight years of marriage to this guy. We have decided not to buy each other anything, especially with the recent cruise spending and upcoming Disney trip. Maybe a homemade cake and netflix...sounds perfect to me!






13 // It's been the same around the lowcountry, other than the painting of cabinets (see #4) and random trips to Dairy Queen to get a dipped cone...it hasn't been too exciting and that's not always a bad thing!


14 // The bonus question for this month was Easter traditions and y'all I happen to think that my family has the best Easters! We celebrate first and foremost the resurrection of Jesus...tis the reason for the season! After a large meal and a well said prayer by my dad, we play games, and one thing about my family is the games are always serious! Competitive is an understatement! We also always try and take some family pics, but that's hit or miss as noted on this Easter recap ;)



No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger