To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

June 15, 2015

Is it Friday yet?

Good morning y'all!
I'm sorry for my posting, or lack thereof, but to be honest I didn't have much on my mind to talk about, and every time I went to start a blog post I either didn't like where it was going or got busy and just exited out of blogger, regardless I'm here now catching up on a Monday. (wishing it was Friday!)

This weekend was pretty low key. We added a new member to our family on Thursday, so we hung around the house this weekend building her a pen and working on training her and getting her used to her new surroundings.

Naturally, we named her with Disney names. Nala Belle, The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. We adopted her from our local animal society and she's a hoot!
She loves to sleep, pick up small sticks with her teeth, and is enamored with small moving things, especially bugs. If she sees a small ant walking on the ground, she will slowly follow it, it's the cutest thing!




If you're anything like me, you're not a fan of the dentist and it's not because of the pain or anxiety involved with it because that doesn't bother or scare me, it's always the money involved because keeping good dental health isn't cheap, even with insurance! Long story short, six years ago one of my front teeth started hurting me. Turned out I needed a root canal and then a permanent crown, $800 later I did just that, because getting a front tooth pulled just isn't an option for this girl. Back teeth, ok, but not one of the front ones. Well the dentist I used back in the day never warned me that a permanent crown only lasts anywhere between 5 - 10 years. I just assumed it was indefinite because they call it "permanent". 

Cut back to April while chewing on a pen top (I know, disgusting!) in the office due to being entranced with something I was reading online, I heard the loudest sound in my mouth and I immediately knew what it was, that permanent crown came out and there I was in the middle of my office missing a front tooth! I immediately left work early and went straight to my dentist who confirmed that permanent crowns are indeed not lifetime permanent and I would need a new crown put on. I explained to them that I just don't have $800 so they said they would work with me, put a temporary crown on (which should last a minimum of 4 months) and give me time to save up some money so I wouldn't have to put it on a credit card. Cue to a month later, while eating a calzone, the temporary falls out and I realize not only do I have poor dental health (it's genetic) but I would have to cough up the $800 because clearly it didn't last 4 months and I couldn't keep getting it re-glued. So last Tuesday I went and coughed up another $800 and got a new permanent crown put back on. The dentist did tell me that if I floss daily it should make it to at least 8 years. If it was a tooth in the back of my mouth it would have been extracted a long time ago, but seeing as how it's a front tooth, um...nope! Gotta have that pretty smile :)

I have decided though, that the next time it falls out in a round 5 or so years I may just bite the bullet and get an implant, which is permanent until the day you die. Bad thing is, they are a lot more expensive than a crown and insurance doesn't cover a dime of it, but then again, it beats spending $800 every 5 years!

Thoughts? If any of you have ever had this issue and decided to go with a permanent tooth, enlighten me on the process, cause it would be a first for me. Or would you just go with a partial denture? I know it sounds like I'm 80 years old talking about dentures, but a partial denture is just a denture that only has one or two teeth on it to replace where your tooth was. They too last indefinitely compared to a crown. 

I will say this, after having my front tooth fall our as many times as it has the past month, I'm so scared this one is going to fall out any time now. I know it's not and that it's permanent, but it has truly scared me and caused so much stress, all over a damn tooth! To be 100% honest with y'all, it's embarrassing too. My teeth, for the most part, are straight. Their white and I like to think I have a nice smile, but the health of them are shit! Per the dentist, it's genetics and both my parents had a full set of dentures by the time they were in their 40s.

Ugh...that's enough about the dentist, moving on...

After changing our minds and dates about 100x, we have finally narrowed down our Disney vacation dates to two different times. Disney is releasing their 2016 prices next Monday, June 22nd, so we're booking then. So we have a week to decide which dates we want to go. We're either going to go mid-April or mid-May. We'll talk about the pros/cons of each and decide over dinner. What I love is Tarl loves Disney just as much as Cadence and I, so having a discussion about it is always fun.

I have narrowed down and planned our dining options and park days. Once we officially book I'll be sure to share all the details. 

When planning our dinners I always get Cadence and Tarl involved. They each have their favorite restaurants so I don't want to miss out on anything that they want to do. Last year one of the highlights of our trip was when Cadence got to meet Sophia the First. She was wearing her monogrammed Sophia shirt, along with matching socks, shoes and bows. Precious is an understatement on how cute that picture was with her hugging Sophia. A year has passed and since she's gotten into more 'big girl' shows. I asked if she wanted to go back to Hollywood and Vine and dine with Sophia again, she said no. She said she stills likes Sophia, but not as much as she used too!

Breaks my heart because children grow and mature a lot faster than we give them credit for! Enjoy Disney Jr and Nick Jr because before too long it's regular Disney channel, Teen Titans Go and Scooby Doo. Good thing she's still Disney princess obsessed or I may have had a slight meltdown this past weekend while talking about it.

Cadence attends two Bible Schools each year. Our Church, and another local Church in town that a lot of her school friends go to. She loves Bible School and I love that she loves Bible School. It's a great environment to have fun, sing songs and learn about Jesus. Last night was the start of our Churches VBS and she was so excited when we picked her up, telling us about what she had learned and that she couldn't wait to go back again today. We are so blessed to have a child who already knows and loves God!

Grey, by E. L. James, is set to be released this Thursday, June 18th. You can pre-order now on Amazon. I cannot wait to read this! It's from Christians point of view. holla!

Last week I ordered Cadence a new bookbag and lunchbox for her first grade year. Her bookbag from last year was still in decent condition, but a Facebook page I follow was having a sale on bookbags so I couldn't resist. 



It's the bottom left (pink and navy). I also got the matching lunchbox and am getting them both monogrammed with her full name rather than her initials.

If you're interested, the Facebook page is called Little Sunshine Grace.

Her school supply list is long this year - but first grade is a big step up from Kindergarten so a lot of the necessities they have are understandable. We're going to wait until tax free weekend to purchase her supplies and uniforms that way it'll save us some money. Gotta save where and when we can! (especially when dental crowns cost as much as they do!)

Well, that's it for today, I leave you with this...


xo

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger