To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

December 7, 2015

Gifts for the Kids!



Tarl and I have always tried to instill in Cadence gratitude. To be grateful for a gift regardless of it's worth, because in our opinion a gift given should be priceless if it's gifted with love and thoughtfulness. My sisters and mom ask me all the time why I don't dread Christmas like they do (when it comes to gift giving that is) and my answer is simple, because I don't feel the need to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't spend money and I'm not even saying that I don't spend hundreds, because let's be honest, we all feel the need or want to splurge a little around Christmas time, but, I don't feel like I have to.

If I have a little extra in December, then absolutely I'll splurge on gifts for Cadence, Tarl or my nephews, but bills have to be priority in which case, the kids will get what I financially can afford to give. A lot of people want to spend the same amount of money on each child which I completely understand, it makes it fair. With that being said though, let's say you want to spend $40 per child and there are eight children to buy for...that's a lot of money!

I don't think there is anything wrong with moderation. If Susie wants a play-doh set that is $10 and Sally wants a doll that is $20...if each child is getting what they want, what's it matter if it's a few dollars difference? Just my two cents. :)

Personally, I've never spent the same on each child. If I see something that I think they would like I get it, simple as that. Sometimes it's as low as $15 or less and other times it's upwards towards $35. Point is, get what you can afford! Don't break the bank 

If I shopped for dollar store coloring books with simple crayons I know without a doubt that Cadence would be just as happy on Christmas morning because we have made it very clear to her that not everyone is as fortunate as we are and we should always be grateful for every blessing we receive in life. I feel often times we get so worked up over money spent on Christmas gifts and there are serious problems that we don't even begin to think about. Children fighting terminal illnesses, kids not knowing where their next meal will be from, when you think about Christmas gifts compared to all that, it truly puts things into perspective!

I don't ever want Cadence to forget that the Good Lord has blessed us beyond measure. We may not live in a huge house on thousands of acres, but I know we have a lot more than what other people have and most importantly, we have our health and each other and that in itself is priceless.

I never meant for this post to be as wordy as it is but I just felt compelled to let everyone reading this know, it doesn't matter if you can't afford that huge gift they have been wanting, don't stress yourself! Give what you can and gift it with love...it's truly as simple as that. 

There's an old saying that I adore...

You thought he cared more because he gave you $100 and I only gave you $10.
Truth is he had $500 in his pocket and I only had $10.

When making this list I wanted to cover a lot of things. Price: so these toys range from low to high. Gender: there are toys for both boys and girls. Age: I have an almost 7 year old, so I kept it in that age range from between 5 - 7, but let's face it, what kid (or adult for that matter) doesn't love Play-Doh or hasn't been wanting to play Pie Face?!



1 //2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7 // 8 // 9

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger