To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

December 3, 2015

Thursday Thoughts

I have a love/hate relationship with December.

I adore every aspect of this month, expect for one thing...Cadence always gets sick in December. I don't know if it's the fact that cold season is officially upon us. Not sure the reason, but each December, around the first week, she is sick. If you have Facebook then I'm sure you're aware of Facebook memories, where it shows you what you shared or posted this same day in years past. Well no joke, this entire week, last year, 2010 and 2009 she was sick. The only reason I know this is because FB memories reminded me of the FB posts asking for prayers for her to get better soon. 

Tarl stayed home with her on Monday. I hated leaving her but after the Thanksgiving holiday it was a must for me to work Monday, but I did stay home with her Tuesday and yesterday. The doctors check up went fine. They even did an extensive strep test (where they send it off) and it came back negative. I didn't know this, but that test actually checks for other illnesses...Cadence's came back with some long medical term with influenza after it. My mind immediately went to the flu, but the doctor reassured me it was a very common virus that has to run it's course. So here we are, on day five. Daddy is home taking care of her again today. I hate to jinx myself, but praise the Lord she woke up fever free this morning and said her throat wasn't near as sore as what is has been. She was talking better and even acting more like herself, so I sure pray we are on the tail end of it. 

It's times like these I wish I were a stay at home mom. I hate leaving her. Don't get me wrong, I know she's in wonderful hands...but there's nothing like mama when you're not feeling good!

Although she's been sick, we've still kept up with Olly.

What happens when you're cooped up in the house sick and there's a huge cardboard box? Well duh...you make a cardboard box house, or as we have called it, "Cadence's Candy Cottage". 

Olly was hiding in there!


He was also found in the hutch! How does he open the glass? :)


...and counting down the days until Christmas with us with our advent calendar. Silly elf.


By the way...y'all should see that cardboard box house now. Cadence and I spent all day yesterday working on it. It's amazing what you can create with scrap paper and plastic bags! We even made a chimney with smoke for it. Her and Tarl were going to add some things to it today. Hate to break it to her, but eventually we'll need our living room back and ole candy cottage will have to be taken off, but we'll save that for another day. Let's face it, when our children are sick, we'll do anything in the world to make them feel better or put a smile on their face, even if that means spending 2+ hours decorating a cardboard box.

Once Cadence is back to 100% and I pray that it's soon, I plan to share a whole lot of Christmas goodness on this little ole page of mine. I want to do a post on my favorite Christmas movies, Christmas traditions and even some gift ideas for the kids, him, and my own Christmas wish list!

xo


P.S. Did you catch the tree lighting in Rockefeller Center last night? We did and it was stunning. Imagine having had been there in person!

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger