To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

January 12, 2015

First Getaway of 2015

Tarl, Cadence and I had a lovely weekend visiting with his Grandparents in middle Georgia in a little town called Ivey. (About 45 minutes East of Macon) We had such a great time relaxing around their beautiful home, playing board games, catching up, gossiping and staying up until midnight (both nights) talking about upcoming trips for everyone and dreams trips we hope to take someday. It was so nice getting away without going non-stop. I read three wonderful books this weekend and they were equally as great and must reads. But before I get to the book reviews let me catch you up on what we did. 

We arrived Friday night around 8 o'clock to open arms and a homey feel. 

Cadence was a champ and didn't go to bed Friday night until 9. Her usual bed time is anywhere between 8 - 8:30 so she was proud of herself, as were we. Around 9 my in-laws arrived. We listened to Tarls grandparents tell stories of the old days while we talked about our Christmases and how Tarl surprised me with a NYC trip. We gabbed a little bit more before hitting the hay.

On Saturday morning we were served a delicious homemade breakfast before the boys started work on the shed, which they promised to help Tarls grandfather with. It took them about 5 hours to complete the work and while they did that us girls stayed warm inside playing games and reading books. Cadence played with Domino's for hours. Lining them up and knocking them over. 

It was very cold in Georgia so we bundled up to walk outside and see how the boys were coming along at one point. We also looked at the chickens and played in the leaves which covered the ground. Cadence loved playing in the leaves - it was like southern snow to her. 

Needless to say we didn't stay outside long. Even with coats and boots and scarfs and gloves it was too chilly for my liking. When your toes go numb it's time to head back in and curl up with a good book.





Their home is absolutely breathtaking. Their master bedroom has huge windows overlooking the hills in their backyard and their back porch is three stories and goes on for days. When we visit in the Spring and Summer I can sit on their porch for hours just basking in the sun.




After the boys finished with the shed us lazy gals got dressed up and ready for the day. Tarl, Cadence and I went into downtown Milledgeville where they have the cutest antique shops and other little stores that are always neat to walk into.


After we explored downtown Milledgeville, we got a text from my in-laws saying they were attending an auction about 30 minutes away and asked us if we wanted to meet them there. Tarl nor I have ever been to an auction so we jumped at the invite. Cadence couldn't hang on the drive - she crashed :)

My mother-in-law texted us directions along with a picture of the building saying that it was in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere, USA. She wasn't lying! You have to go down a narrow dirt road with barns to your right and fields to your left. 






When we arrived we saw the coolest barn with a lot of antique signs gracing the entrance. When we walked in there were tons of people sitting on benches and a lot of treasures up front to bid on if you desired. The auctioneer started and I even bid on a couple things, but unfortunately I lost to bidder #30 who wasn't giving up the cutest little wishing well that would have looked perfect in our backyard. I stopped bidding at $17.50...oh well :)

We stayed for about an hour before we left to go back home for the evening. Cadence went to bed immediately when we got back to Tarl's grandparents. While we waited for everyone to get back from the auction Tarl and I sat in front of the fireplace while I read a book and Tarl dreamed of owning a house as nice as theirs one day. It was pure bliss. 

When everyone got back they told us of all the treasures they found and purchased and again, we stayed up late chit chatting.

Sunday we had the most delicious lunch before going back home. I'm still thinking about Mema's homemade chicken and rice!


This was us on the drive home - sad to leave but so ready to see our pets and sleep in our own bed.


///

This weekend I read three books. One I was mid-read and finished and the other two I read cover to cover. I love going and seeing when we travel but it was nice to just relax and be able to read in such a peaceful place as a getaway. The Program and the second book in the series, The Treatment, are fantastic! Written by Suzanne Young, the books are about a nationwide suicide epidemic that this program is trying to stop. But are they really trying to help or is there some sketchy stuff going on? Mix that with two kids who are soulmates and it makes for a great read!

Sparrow, written by Sara Mack, was the last book I read this weekend and one of my most favorites I think I've read. It leaves you on the edge of your seat and that's a book I can truly get into. It's about two teenagers, Addison and Kyle, who meet during their annual stay at the lake during summer one year. They fall madly in love and plan to stay in touch, but when Addison disappears Kyle doesn't know where she went, how to find her or where to even look. Will they ever see each other again?

All great reads!

As usual the weekend came and went way too quickly.

Have a blessed week friends.



No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger