To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

January 19, 2015

I'm on Chopped!


Friday evening after I got home and changed out of work clothes into something a little more casual, we decided to enjoy an evening in town. It was too chilly to venture off to Savannah and after a long work week neither one of us was really in the mood to do something big, so we ate locally and went and spent some time with my brother and his girlfriend. I've said it before and I'll say it again but we adore her. She fits into our family so well and is a true blessing in my brother's life. 

Anyways, we sat around the fire at their home while Cadence played inside with her cousin, my brother's son, along with their pets. Between my brother, his son, and Yvonne, they have 3 cats and 3 dogs. Luckily they have a nice size home and a big back yard, but Cadence loves pets so she always has a great time playing with the cats, as their her favorite :)

I took this shameless selfie


I feel like when my hair is on point I have to document it as it is a very rare occasion. 

Saturday we decided to have an oyster roast. So while Tarl got everything ready, my dad, Cadence and I sat around the fire outside and just enjoyed the sunny day. Unfortunately the sun was hiding behind the clouds in this picture, but it was a beautiful day on Saturday. 

When we went to pick up the oysters we had lunch at a little local place. 

I had the shrimp pasta with a garlic wine sauce and Cadence enjoyed a nutella and banana panini. Tarl had the shrimp and grits, but he chomped on them before I could snag a pic.



  


That evening we made ourselves full on oysters and danced to some old country music. Seeing Tarl and Cadence dance just melted my heart.



Sunday came way too soon, but we got up, did some grocery shopping and had a chopped competition at our house. All three of us, Cadence included, love the show and she always says she wants to be a judge. So we said we would do a dessert round, she chose 4 ingredients we had at our home (marshmallows, cheez-its, strawberries and a lemon) and put 30 minutes on the clock while Tarl and I cooked our hearts out. 

If I wouldn't have been in such a rush I would have taken pictures because not only was it hilarious it truly was so much fun. Tarl and I enjoyed coming up with something new. I made a lemon meringue cookie along with a small fruit salad and a marshmallow cream with a hint of cheeze it and topped on toast along with strawberries and raspberries. Similar to a fruit panini. 

Tarl made french toast crusted with pecans and cheez its along with a fruit salad. 

He got chopped!

What a great weekend it was and here we are on a Monday. May this week be filled with love and blessings and may Friday come soon!

xo

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger