To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

July 9, 2014

Christmas in July

If you're a new reader to this little ole blog of mine then you should know that I am a list keeper and a planner. If you've been reading a long for a while then you already knew that. I make lists for everything, including small weekend trips. This ensures me that I will not forget anything, like that one time I forgot to pack my straightener and had homeless hair all weekend long. #yikes #truestory

I keep a "list" booklet in my purse at all times and it truly has come in handy.




With that being said, my Christmas list(s) begin...

I start my Christmas shopping around mid-August. I've had several people ask me what happens if I purchase a gift for someone for them not to like that similar item by the time Christmas arrives and the answer is simple, I only purchase items that are great to use year round or something I know they have loved forever.

Example, my sister loves candles, so if all else fails I go to Yankee Candle and stock up. Even months later, the candles are going to be good and she's going to love them.

I don't like giving gift cards. To me it takes the fun out of Christmas. A child unwrapping a toy, me adorning the box with beautiful paper and matching ribbon, but to be honest, all my nephews are older now and more hard to buy for now that they are older so gift cards are truly the way to go.

I start buying gift cards, make sure they don't have an expiration date, and voila, by the time December arrives they have a huge check mark by their name on my Christmas list and this way I know their teenage butts can buy whatever they choose. Trends change daily. I'd hate to buy them a pair of shoes in August for that same shoe to be the ugliest thing you've seen come December - insert gift cards here!

Lucky for me, both Tarl and Cadence are set in their ways. Tarl loves hunting, fishing and the South Carolina Gamecocks, so as long as my Christmas list for him rotates around Bass Pro Shop or Dicks Sporting Goods, then I know he's going to love what I get for him.

Cadence is a girl after my own heart. She loves pink, princess, Disney and anything that involves outdoor activities, whether it be trampolines, swingsets or even farm life. She's easy peasy to buy for.

Another list I make is one for Olly, our Elf on the Shelf. Olly always arrives the weekend after Thanksgiving, so coming up with different ideas each night can be quite a task. I always make a list of places to hide him or different things for him "to do", that way the night before Tarl and I aren't waking up at 2am to rush and hide him somewhere. #beenthere #donethat

If you are looking for some great Elf on the Shelf ideas, you can view some of Olly's adventures here. I also have a lot of ideas pinned to my Christmas Pinterest board which you can check out below:



Another list I make is our nightly family event. Each night during the month of December I write on a small sticky note something for us to do and insert it into our Christmas countdown that hangs on our door. This way when Cadence gets up in the morning and changes the countdown to a day less, she also pulls out that sticky note and gets so excited about what we have planned.

This, like Olly, can get tricky. To find something to do each night and have it coordinate with out schedules can be a task, but it's so worth it to see her face light up. The things I plan can range from something simple like reading a book to ice skating in Savannah or going to see the Christmas lights in Charleston, it just depends on what we have going on in that particular day. I always look at our schedules around October and start preparing accordingly.

I love Christmas. It's my most favorite time of the year!
If you're like me, here's a great way to count down to December's arrival:

11 Paychecks (if you get paid every two weeks)
21 Saturdays
4 1/2 months
And for us, one Disney trip away!

Merry Christmas in July! And don't ever forget the reason for the season, the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ...come on December!




1 comment

  1. I LOVE this! I am a christmas lover and a list maker so you and I should basically be BFF's. I can't wait to have kids and be able to share all the magic of the holiday season with them. I love the idea of having a nightly activity for the family to do!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger