To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

July 14, 2014

weekend

Unless you've lived under a rock your entire life I'm sure you've heard of Savannah, Georgia. It's an amazingly beautiful city filled with both modern and classic architecture as well as an abundance in history. I'm blessed enough to live here! Believe it or not, we don't venture off to Riverstreet often. If you're a "local" you know why, it's a tourist trap. 

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with tourists. They keep our economy going and when we venture out of SC or GA we're tourists ourselves, especially come September (Disney!). However, if you live in a highly populated tourist area, as a local, you tend to stay away from it, but on Saturday we did the opposite and played hometown tourists. 

Huey's on the River is a tiny little restaurant located directly on the Savannah waterfront. They serve authentic and delicious New Orleans ('nawlins) style food, but are most known for their beignets.

As a local I've known about Huey's forever and it's been on my Savannah bucket list to try for years. Saturday morning I got up, looked at Tarl and said, "today I try a beignet for the very first time." We looked up their menu online, realized the prices were very affordable, and headed off for brunch and beignets!

When we first got to Riverstreet the rain was coming down. Of course it was on a day I curled my hair. 
Oh well! Cadence and I got out, put our name in, and then walked across the street underneath a gazebo while waiting for Tarl to park the truck. It's OK for the boys to get wet :)

While waiting, the sun and blue sky started to slowly peek it's way out and it turned out to be a beautiful day on the riverfront. 




As stated above, Huey's is a very small restaurant with not a lot of seating, but it does provide for an excellent ambiance and amazing window views of Riverstreet. It's nice to just sit with your family, dine on good food while people watching with a gorgeous view in the background.

While waiting we observed the menu and had already decided on what we wanted. I went for the Shrimp and Parmesan Grits and Tarl went with a classic 'nawlins style Shrimp Po Boy.

The shrimp were not frozen, but fresh which makes the dish an instant hit in my opinion, but the grits, oh those wonderful glorious grits were the star of the show. Not only did they have Parmesan shavings on top, but they had creamy cheese dispersed lightly throughout to ensure that every bite was just as magnificent and cheesy as the last.


I didn't try a bite of Tarls Po Boy but it sure did look delicious, and from the moans and how quickly it disappeared I think it's safe to say it too was a hit! 

Cadence, like a true little southern belle opted for some fried shrimp too.


You can order the beignet's two ways, three or one dozen. There were only three of us so we felt it was meant to be and opted for the three. They came served on a single plate completely coated with powdered sugar.


They looked and smelled divine and they were very warm to the touch which meant they were perfectly fresh. I dug right in...


They were good. Excellent? Cadence thought so, but not in my opinion. They weren't nasty by any means of the word, but they weren't what I had dreamed them up to be. I thought they were going to have the texture and airiness of a croissant, but they were a lot more dense. They have a thick honey glaze that helps the powdered sugar to stick and I feel I could bathe in that stuff, it was sweet and delicious. The beignet as a whole was good, I would most certainly order them again, but I think I got my thoughts to high on what they were going to taste like and it let me down. Lesson learned, don't over think about pastries!

After brunch we walked down Riverstreet and took in the sights and smells of the candy shop, and of course made a wish in the fountain.





Maison De Macaron's opened in Savannah not all that long ago. I remember the day the sign got installed over the building because we were walking on historic Broughton watching as the workman placed it so effortlessly above. I looked at Tarl and immediately screeched at the thought of a macaron store opening in Savannah. There is a divine macaron store in Charleston, but driving two hours to nibble on a sweet little morsel isn't all that practical so I was ecstatic to see there was one coming close to home.

Maison De Macaron's is a place I've wanted to visit ever since the sign went up, and Saturday was the perfect day to visit. It started to drizzle again between clouds, but we didn't care, once Cadence heard, "they taste kinda like a soft creamy cookie" she was sold! 




When you walk in there is just a small standing area that seperates where you purchase your macarons and the kitchen where they make them. Lucky for us, Cadence had to potty so we got an inside glimpse of their kitchen while waking to the bathroom. I fell in love with the saying on the wall, "make today ridiculously amazing."

Taking a rain break underneath an awning while strolling through downtown! Can't get that hair wet girl!





$1.89 per macaron isn't cheap, but it was a splurge, remember we were playing "hometown tourists". I got half a dozen in an assortment of flavors to ensure we tried all kinds: Blackberry Lavender, Salted Caramel, Vanilla Cream, Banana's Foster, Key Lime and Traditional Raspberry. They were all perfection in one tiny little circle of goodness. My most favorite were the Salted Caramel. You get a strong flavor of both salt and caramel without each flavor taking over. Cadence loved the Traditional Raspberry and Banana's Foster came in as a close second. They do ship just in case you were wondering :)




Since Cadence had two back to back ear infections along with a viscous rash she was on antibiotics for almost three weeks. If you have children then you understand how much they hate taking medicine. If you're like me you bribe. As a parent we have to do what works for our children and bribing works like a charm on little miss Cadence. She has been wanting her ears pierced for a while and I promised her we would go, Saturday was the day!



Naturally she chose pink sparkly butterflies and I was beyond proud because she was a champ. She only had one small tear stream down her face, but once she saw her earrings in the mirror it was gone!

The rest of the weekend we spent around our town. We drove out to the old Sheldon Church ruins where the old Sheldon Church used to lie back in the 1700s. It's remains along with very old tombstones still lie. It's a gorgeous place and it's also the place I took my bridal portraits, minus the tombstones of course.


It even has an actual working water well, which was bursting with fresh cold water, just really hard to maneuver for a five year old, but she gave it her best try.




I thought this tombstone was so neat. It looks like something out of an old horror movie with the creaky fence and sunken in tombstone.


We spent the rest of the weekend relaxing at home where Cadence managed to help Aunt Yvonne with her garden and become a peacock.




The things this kid thinks of is hilarious!

I hope each of you had a great weekend!

xo








2 comments

  1. Looks like you had a great weekend! I'm jealous, I LOVE Savannah, it's been such a long time. I an NOT a beignet fan, though. As a kid I ate two of them in NoLA and ended up throwing up in a trash can in the French quarter. I haven't been able to eat powdered sugar since! Haha. Cadence is so cute!! I love the last picture! She looks like a turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Augh, everything in this post looks delicious!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger