To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

November 10, 2015

Easy Thanksgiving Recipes

If you're anything like me then you love to cook because truth is I adore cooking, but that doesn't mean it has to be a difficult task. 

With Thanksgiving quickly approaching (16 days to be exact!) I wanted to share some great ideas to bring to the table this year that are simple to make but absolutely delicious!

Everyone loves to snack while waiting to eat. Some times that's the best part...the appetizers before the meal. What a cute and easy way to display meats and cheeses!


Another great appetizer that everyone seems to love on a cold holiday is Buffalo Chicken Crockpot dip. I remember the first time I tried it, I was hooked and hoarded the crock pot. You don't immediately think of buffalo chicken dip when you think Thanksgiving, but let's face it, who wouldn't love it?!



Pie. Ahh, pie. When I think Thanksgiving I immediately think of pie. Store bought pies are quick, easy, affordable and to be honest they are quite delicious. If you want to make a store bought pie seem more made from scratch, purchase a pie and some pie dough. Cut the pie dough with leaf shaped cookie cutters and add to your store bought pie. Voila...looks like it's made from scratch!



If you want to bring pumpkin to the table, but you're sick of the same ole pumpkin pie, try a pumpkin roll filled with cream. It's a tasty way to incorporate pumpkin into the Thanksgiving meal.

I made this one last year. It was my first time ever making a pumpkin roll, but I was stunned by how easy it was to make and Tarl loved it. I followed this recipe. I know it's a lot of ingredients but it is very easy to make!


If you really want to be festive make a cornucopia. Everybody loved my cornucopia filled with fruit and every single bit of it got ate. The buttery bread and all the crisp fresh fruit inside!

It looks hard but again, another easy thing to make. All you need to do is get a lot of tinfoil and shape it into the shape of a cone with a small curly tail. Spray it really well with cooking spray and add small strips of store bought bread. I always braid the top part of the cornucopia bread piece to give it some decor and then I coat the top with a melted butter/garlic mixture. 

I bake according to the dough directions. Normally around 15-20 minutes on 400 degrees, and voila.
Always coat the tinfoil well with cooking spray and it'll pull right off.



Another family favorite of mine is my triple berry trifle. I normally make this for both Thanksgiving and Christmas because it's simply beautiful and who doesn't like berries, whip cream and cake?!

Store bought angel food cake, whip cream, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries and you just layer the cake (cubed) and berries until it's filled to the top of your trifle dish. 
Then top with more berries and whip cream.


If your kids (or some adult family members) aren't into the traditional Thanksgiving desserts like pies or pumpkin rolls, make them cheesecake cookies.

...and yes you read that right, cheesecake cookies!


So what are some easy delicious things that you make for Thanksgiving? Do tell...

xo


No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger