To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

November 23, 2015

Favorite Week of the Year!

Well, one of them anyways :)

I always always always look forward and love Thanksgiving week. Thanksgiving is a holiday where it's on the same day each year, obviously, Thursday, which means for my family we get around 4 1/2 days off in a row, can't beat that!

I will leave work half a day early on Wednesday and I won't look back until next Monday, what a glorious feeling that is. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job, but time home with family is always best.

Not to mention the fact that so much family is around during the Thanksgiving holiday. My aunt, her son and grandson are all coming into town today. They are staying clear through Friday morning so we have all week with them. We also have more extended family coming in on the actual day of Thanksgiving. They have a sweet little 4 month old baby who is precious and she does nothing to help out my baby fever :)

We can't forget the cooking and the parade! Or should I see cooking while watching the parade? I start my oven bright and early at 8am. I make us breakfast and then the TV goes on exactly at 9 when the parade starts. That's when all my baking starts. I adore baking Thanksgiving goodies while listening to Al Roker commentate in the background. Did you know Jake Owen will be in the parade this year? Seriously cannot wait! How amazing would it be to be there in person to see the parade?!
Tarl and I have actually discussed this as of recently for a future Thanksgiving. Leaving the Wednesday before the parade, staying for a week and seeing the tree lighting and then go home after the tree lighting in Rockefeller Center. A week in New York? Sign me up!

I love the days off work, I love when I get to see family who lives out of town, I love the food but most importantly I love the time spent with family being grateful for every gift the Good Lord has given us. How blessed we are! I truly can't thank God enough for all the things he's done in our lives.

Another HUGE part of me loving this week is Friday. Sure I love Thursday, but when Friday arrives and Thanksgiving is officially over you know what time of year that is...CHRISTMAS!

This is also the week that Olly arrives! We think he may make his appearance on Thanksgiving morning, this way he can watch himself as a balloon on TV in the parade :)
He came last Thanksgiving and left Cadence a note saying that just this once, she could hold him to show him his very own balloon. Just look at that smile!


This Saturday coming is the Annual Savannah Christmas Boat Parade. It's absolutely gorgeous seeing boats decorated with Christmas lights coast down the water way where we all line up on Riverstreet to watch. We look forward to this each year. We bundle up, watch the parade and get dinner after. It's a great way to kick off the Christmas season.

Here are some pictures of last year. We got caught eating dinner so we said this year we will go to dinner afterwards. We still managed to find parking and watch the tail end of the parade. I will admit though, watching it while driving over the bridge was pretty spectacular.




If you need some Christmas ideas come Friday you can check out my Christmas board on Pinterest. I have tons of goodies pinned, decoration ideas, things to do and even some elf on the shelf ideas just in case you're scratching your head wondering where to hide your families elf.



Also, if you still don't know what to make for Thanksgiving to take to your family gathering, take a look at my posts from last week where I talked all about mini pies!


Next Monday starts off my Christmas blogging throughout the entire month of December. I'll be sharing gift ideas for him, them (family members), the kids and even a little wish list of items I'm hoping to receive. I'll also be sharing more recipes throughout the month of December, as well as things we do as a family to celebrate the birth of Jesus, because let's not forget that's the true meaning of the season!

xo

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger