To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

November 24, 2015

Thanksgiving Morning

One of my favorite things to do on holiday mornings, whether it be Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas or even Halloween (if it lands on a Saturday), is make my family breakfast.

When I have days off and we're not in a rush I love taking the time to make my family a breakfast that is themed around that holiday. 

Here are some great ideas for a great Thanksgiving breakfast. (click the title to take you to the source)






If you don't want Thanksgiving breakfast to get too complicated and want to stick with the usual grits, bacon, eggs and pancakes just grab a cookie cutter and cookie cut a pancake into something indicative of Thanksgiving and then use your grits, bacon and eggs to decorate :)

If you want some more, great, delicious ideas go check out my Pinterest board where I have all kinds of goodies pinned. A lot of sweet, a lot of savory and a whole lotta yum!




Leading up to both Thanksgiving and Christmas my eyes are pretty much glued to Food Network. Chopped, just because it's a show that I love. The Barefoot Contessa, because we all know my love for Ina. I also enjoy watching Holiday Baking Championship and anything that has a Thanksgiving or Christmas theme to it. Just yesterday alone there were 3 Thanksgiving themed Chopped episodes. Even Cadence loves Chopped. We try our best to eat at the dinner table but every now and again we'll make a special treat out of it and watch an episode of Chopped while eating dinner. Cadence always looks forward to it.

It seems silly but growing up we never ate at the table like a family. We always sat in the living room, watching T.V., eating our dinner. Not saying it's a bad thing, but I always loved the idea of sitting at the dinner table while eating dinner. At our house growing up our dining room table was only used during holidays. Again, not saying this is a bad thing, it's all about personal preference, and for me, I always loved the idea of sitting around the dinner table, catching up with everyone's day.

When I first met Tarl and he introduced me to his parents, it was over dinner at their home. Without question they all knew who had what job to prepare for the meal. Tarl made the drinking glasses. His sister grabbed the silverware and napkins. Tarls mom made everyone's plate and his dad sat down with the pitcher of sweet tea. Then they sat down, and we all ate dinner. No T.V., just each others company.

I knew then, that I wanted that when I had my family, and here we are :)

So although we enjoy eating at the dinner table, there are a few nights throughout the month, when I make a hearty beef stew or beef and barley soup, we'll fill our bowls, grab a napkin and spoon and watch a good episode of Chopped while cozying up with one another sipping on our soups. It's great!


So tell me, do you have you Thanksgiving traditions for breakfast?

xo

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger