To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

August 25, 2015

Fall Bucket List

So I know that a bucket list is so original, right?! #sarcasm
I do love to make a bucket list for each Fall season, it's a lot of fun and really gets my family out and doing things on those weekends where we might not have one thing in particular planned, plus, y'all know how much I love making lists. 

Let's face it, Fall is the most perfect season, especially here in the South. Those days where you need nothing more than a short sleeve shirt, but jeans and boots and maybe a lite coat at night. Just perfection. Those are the days I like to get my family outside and doing things, so we're not cooped up in the house. 

one / visit the pumpkin patch

Annually my family visits our local pumpkin patch. It has become a family tradition ever since Cadence was a tiny tot. We always enjoy our time there. Playing the games, getting a snow cone, visiting the petting zoo, taking the hay ride to the pumpkin field and picking out our very own pumpkin. I always look forward to doing this, so does Tarl, and Cadence especially.

Here are some pics of our trip last year.







two / pumpkin carving

Y'all, this is something my family takes very seriously, very seriously (emphasis on two)! Tarl and I are very competitive, and Cadence is quickly following in that streak right along with us, so we always make a competition out of it. Naturally, Cadence always wins :)

Tarl always has me post his pumpkin and mine on Facebook, and see which pumpkin gets the most likes...like I said, serious business in our house.

This was last years pumpkins. Tarl won. Tarl has won the last three years!
This year I'll have to get super creative with my pumpkin.
So which one do you like the best? I'll tell you whose is whose after you vote.



three / trunk or treat

Sure we always go trick-or-treating, but every year local Churches host what they call trunk-or-treating, which is when members of the church decorate the beds of their trucks or SUVs and pass out candy. It's always fun seeing acquaintances, and dressing Cadence up. She loves it because it's candy after candy after candy and only about three feet away, verses walking from house to house. What's not to love about that?!




four / make caramel or candied apples

I've always wanted to make homemade candied and caramel apples, but alas, I always buy the store bought stuff, heat it up and call it a day. This year, it's on the bucket list, and the two recipes below sound easy and delicious.

World's Best (and easiest...) homemade caramel! Great for popcorn, apples, and anything dip-worthy.

Best ever easy homemade candy apple recipe  Add some cinnamon red hots and skip the red food coloring


five / stroll downtown Savannah

I so enjoy when we park at the Westin across the river, and then take the ferry (which is free) to Riverstreet. We grab a Starbucks and walk along downtown, in each square with it's tall mossy oaks with falling leaves. It's just stunning. Fall in Savannah is one of my favorites!




six / read fall books

I always loved reading to Cadence when she was younger, now that she can read, she loves reading to us. Reading is so important in a child's education. It opens there mind to a world of possibilities and imagination. Last year I bought some Fall books through the Scholastic book program at her school, and I can't wait to have her read them to us this Fall. Books about leaves and scarecrows and witches and cats. They're silly and funny, but most of all it's about the time spent together reading.


seven / boo at the zoo

This will be a first for us this year if we manage to go, but we love Riverbanks Zoo and have visited it each year, if not twice a year. However, we have never attended Boo at the Zoo. On special nights throughout October they encourage you to dress up and trick or treat. It sounds so fun! This year, if time allots, we want to take Cadence. If you are in Columbia or it's surrounding areas you should check it our. You can find more information on it here.


eight / s'mores by the fire

An annual tradition, and one I'm sure we will keep up with. Gooey marshmallows and melty chocolate..what's not to love?


nine / decorate outside

Our home isn't directly on the highway, so it's hard to see from the road and we've never decorated outside because of it. Nothing more than a garden flag or a mum or two. Well this year, I say the hell with it. I want to decorate regardless, because at least we will see it every day when we arrive home. 


ten / the great pumpkin charlie brown

It wouldn't be a bucket list without this one. Halloween night, after trick-or-treating has ceased and we get home in our jammies. We settle down with a bowl full of popcorn and watch this movie. 

I can't wait!


No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger