To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

August 26, 2015

What's Up Wednesday

Well we are at the half way point for this week...woo-hoo!
I'm ready to get this weekend started, but I'm sure we all are.


Today I'm linking up here for What's Up Wednesday to answer a few 'every day' questions.
Let's get started...


What are we eating this week?

With school now officially in session, that means homework, and reading, and a lot of extras that we didn't have in the summer, which means not as much time to spend in the kitchen come 6pm, so I have turned to my trusty old crock pot, which is a favorite for me. It's so great taking 10 minutes at night to prepare dinner for the following day, let it simmer on the crock pot while you're at work, and when you get home, dinner is ready, and whatever you have prepared is usually tender and juicy since it had plenty of time to simmer and cook on a low heat, like the crock pot.

Monday - Crock Pot Beef Stew
Tuesday - Grilled Chicken Salads
Wednesday - Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
Thursday - BBQ with the in-laws
Friday - Concession Stand

Normally we only eat out once during the week, and most of the time it's with my in-laws. There home town doesn't have much in the restaurant department (not saying that we are a restaurant town, but we have more options than they do) so they come visit us, and we eat dinner at a local eatery, this Thursday we have plans for BBQ. Yum! Cadence has pageant practice on Friday, and then we are going to the football game, so we'll grab something at the concession stand. I'm OK with that, it sure beats cooking on a Friday night. Maybe not the healthiest choice, but the concession stand's BBQ sandwich with extra pickles ain't half bad #justsayin


What am I reminiscing about?

Honestly, our Disney vacation. We originally had plans to go back to Disney this September, one month from this Friday to be exact, but we decided to go next April instead, that way Cadence wouldn't have to miss any school. Tarl and I were talking last night about our vacation originally only being one month away, but now being seven months away. We quickly reminded ourselves how blessed we are to even have the luxury to go on a vacation, let alone a Disney vacation for eight whole nights. We truly are blessed beyond measure. Sometimes we just need a good kick in the ass to remind ourselves of that. 

Still, if I'm being honest, a weeks vacation sounds great about now, but I'll just have to be patient, seven months isn't too long, plus New York with my sister is only 20 something days away!

I'm ready for that delicious Disney food!



Riding rides with these two cuties!



Bringing out the kid in this handsome man!


The endless parades and firework shows!


The friendliest ducks you ever did meet that grace Magic Kingdom!


This view!


This sweet girls happy face!





But mostly, to have moments like this one. Priceless memories, where your little one meets their very favorite princess. Gets to talk to her favorite princess. Gets to dress as her favorite princess. Gets to dance with her favorite princess. Her and Belle spent over five minutes together. Tears stung both mine and Tarl's eyes over the pure joy this brought to Cadence. 

This is what I'm beyond ready for!



What am I loving?

-That Christmas is only 4 months away.
-That Fall is so close I can almost taste/smell it.
-That I have a husband and daughter who have a special bond (read below)

Today after homework was done and dinner was ate Cadence randomly said "you know the zip line at the park up town? I've always been scared of doing it but I'll do it one day." I looked at her and said today's the day. So we took the drive to the park and here is my sweet girls first time doing the zip line. I told Tarl to let her do it by herself (and he did) but he didn't leave her side. I am beyond blessed to have such a great, respectful, cautious, loving child and a husband who is the best father I know! A father I know who will never leave her side no matter what obstacles she may face in life, no matter how big or in this case, small ‪#‎myheartisfull‬

I shared that yesterday to family and friends, along with the video of her doing the zip line. I'm not sharing the video here, but I wanted to share how special those two mean to me!


What have we been up to?

School! School functions. It consumes our lives for 9 months of the year, but a great education is well worth the time put into it.


What am I dreading?

Honestly, the pageant on Saturday. Cadence loves doing them. She loves picking out her dress, getting her hair done, the fact that she gets to wear a little bit of blush. Me, eh...I enjoy them because she enjoys them. If I'm being honest however, they are time consuming. You have to get there early, and you're there for around 3 hours, when your child only has to go on stage for a total of about 8 minutes. It's very tedious. You have to wait on the girls ahead of your group to go out one by one, and the groups after you. Then they get crowned, and you have to wait for your group to get crowned. I enjoy seeing the smile it puts on Cadence's face, but I'm always glad to go grab some lunch when it's done and over with.


What am I working on?

Nothing major other than work at the moment. I've started lists, Christmas lists, birthday party lists for Cadence's birthday, and of course NYC packing lists!


What am I excited about?

NYC and Disney :)


What am I watching and/or reading?

No books currently, but I truly want to start reading the Bible. As far as TV, Scandal! Seriously, if you haven't started watching Scandal yet, get on that!


What am I listening to?

I've had this on repeat.



What am I wearing?

I'm still in work dresses and my Jacks, but I cannot wait until it's time for skinny jeans and tall boots. White t-shirts and chunky scarves! Have you seen my 'want it, need it' Pinterest board lately? If you haven't, check it out, lately all I have pinned has been Fall related.



A few of my faves...

Polka Dot Sweater + Pink Vest



J. Crew puffer vests.
loving any and all vests - especially pink!

Crushing on these tall, rich grained leather riding boot by Tory Burch.  Style with jeans and long cardigan for an effortless autumn ensemble.



This glam snake-print leather crossbody bag is equally well-suited for travel around town and adventures overseas.
this snake print...#swoon



i love the layered flannel with the vest


What am I doing this weekend?

Football. Pageant. Spending time with my two favorites!


What am I looking forward to next month?

Well, if you haven't already heard...

Visit Central Park at night | Tips For First-Time Travel To New York City

NEW YORK (HOLD HER TIGHT)...She'd always dreamed and said she'd be a dancer.  You could teach her, reach her and romance her, but I know she really loves me too.  She just had to find out about you....RESTLESS HEART

Central Park, NYC. I have high hopes of exploring more of the city that never sleeps when we finally move back to the east coast.  #wishiwashere #PowerOfPlace http://wishiwasheremovie.com in select theaters Friday, July 18th


What is your favorite back to school tradition?

We always get up early the morning of the first day of school and take family pictures. I print out a cute little sign stating what grade she's going in, and we take pictures. This way I can keep up with how much our little one has grown, and hold onto those pictures as precious memories in the future.

Cadence's school has uniforms, and as most of you know, with  uniforms there are only so many options to choose from, so I make sure that I put her in the same style for those back to school pics. The white peter pan collared shirt, along with the plaid skirt, with a big bow in her hair :)

Kindergarten

1st Grade

Just look how much she has grown!


I've said it before and I'll say it again, blessed beyond measure!

1 comment

  1. Your meals for the week sound amazing!! I'm SO ready for Fall & Christmas too :) I'm over summer food & clothes at this point!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger