To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

August 3, 2015

Weekend Recap | DIY Edition


This weekend was a remodel weekend in our house and let me tell you, it's amazing how a little paint and an area rug can transform an entire room.

The first thing I did was sand down the coffee tables. They were cheap tables that came with our home when we bought it as we purchased the furniture package that way we wouldn't have to go out and furnish an entire house along with our new mortgage.



After I sanded them down with sand paper, I gave them three coats of a crisp white and I used a standard paint brush. No rollers! Rollers will not work well on furniture. I understand that hand painting takes a lot of time and patience, but it was well worth it.

After all three coats were finished and dried I used a rag and some finishing wax to help the paint seal so it would last over time with kids, pets and a husband who likes to put drinks and feet propped on the coffee table.


Tarl purchased me the rug I wanted. He's into colors and I was dead set on a white/beige rug so it would work with the brown furniture we currently have and then eventually transition into whatever new furniture we choose. He also bought me the white window curtains, and voila...


I am so happy with the transformation. It completely took away from all the brown. We eventually want to pain the walls, but I hate painting and it's not a project I'm ready to tackle just yet.

Here's a before and after...


Our entertainment center was built into the wall. It was one of the selling points for us when we were looking at homes. Like most things though, after time you get sick of looking at it and want something different. I knew I wanted to paint the trim around the TV white, and paint the brown walls gray (to match whatever color we choose for our living room). So I purchased a paint sample at Lowe's in the color Shorely Gray. I did three coats of white trim and three coats of Shorely Gray on the walls surrounding it. I'm so glad I purchased the sample and didn't just buy a gallon and paint the entire living room in this color because it's too light of a gray for me. I want a gray a few shades darker. All in all, it still looks better than what it was, and again, helps brighten the living room.

Before...


After...

(see how the gray is almost a white/blue color. I'm not a fan, but I'll purchase another sample in the next week or so, repaint, and see if it's the color we'll end up using)

Side by side...



And yes I have my Fall decor up. I couldn't wait. Go ahead, judge away!
But seriously though, how pretty do those pumpkins and gold leaves look?!


The next project was Cadence's bathroom, and it all started with a mason jar.
I knew I wanted her toothbrush holder to be a pink mason jar and all you need is acryllic paint, a mason jar and something old that you don't mind getting paint on. I used this super old dirty pan that we had in our trashcan.



Fill the mason jar up about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch high. Depending upon the size of the jar itself.


Slowly turn until the paint is completely covered on the inside and then set opening faced down and leave it that way over night. Make sure you have something (like this pan) underneath as the paint will spread!


Next up was the canvas. I purchased a large canvas from Michael's and in silver painted my most favorite saying as a mother to a daughter. "What if I fall? Oh but my darling, what if you fly!"


Then Tarl and I painted her entire bathroom a crisp white.
I am smitten with how it turned out after we added pops of pink/gold/silver.

I purchased the shower curtains, towels and rug from Family Dollar. I love the print of the shower curtain and although the pictures are making the colors look more red, they are actually a hot pink color.


I also found these gorgeous gold starbursts at Family Dollar in a three pack for $10 - can't beat that!


I painted two canvas' for her. She said she wanted something South Carolina. Girl loves her home state! We also hung her robe on a hook right underneath.




Over her mirror looks bare still. I'm wanting to either get her initials and place them over or some sort of gold dots or silver dots to give it the feel of an accent wall.




Here are the before and after pics...






We went to the mall on Saturday. 
I had some Victoria's Secret coupons that I wanted to use before they expired. I got a pair of panties and this shirt which came to a total of $40, for only $14! Score!

In the front it looks like a regular long sleeved t-shirt, but the back has the prettiest cutout detail.
I cannot wait to wear this in New York!


Kirkland's had their fall decor out. In fact, a lot of stores did. 
I bought the prettiest garden flag on sale. Naturally it has a huge pumpkin on it :)


Sweet girl made a wish. It's a tradition each time we go.


This weekend was not a relaxing one. I was non-stop from Friday afternoon through to Sunday night, but I am so happy that I got everything that I wanted to done and am even happier with the way that it turned out. 

What makes this Monday bearable is the fact that it's only a four day work week. Tarl and I took off Friday for his birthday and we're going to spend the day together as a family and then have some date nights to celebrate.

Happy Monday...xo

3 comments

  1. Love the new look! I am not a decorator at all so this may be a terrible suggestion but I think I have seen some girly mirrors in Homegoods or TJ Max...maybe replace the plain mirror with a fancier mirror and it may give that area some extra pop so you won't feel like you need to add anything else?? Now I am feeling motivated to do a few things around my house too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We want to do that but believe it or not the mirror is glued to the wall so not sure if it would peel off thr paint underneath! Mayne we'll try it :)

      Delete
  2. I am loving all of the changes you made! Those North Carolina canvases are adorable. I want to put fall out, but I am just not ready yet. I am still celebrating the 4th at my house.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger