To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

August 6, 2015

Tips from a Local | Savannah

I adore Savannah, Georgia.

In my opinion it is one of America's most beautiful cities, of course I am partial, living in Savannah's backyard my entire life. It doesn't matter what part of downtown you are in, either two blocks to the east or west, north or south will be some sort of square with tall oaks and hanging moss. Buildings both old and new. Beautiful architecture. Corner cafe's. Antique shops. Incredible food. You name it, Savannah probably has it.

 Just stunning!

historic squares

riverfront

huey's on the river's shrimp & grits


When I travel I always do research. Often times when people vacation, they don't like planning or doing. They just like going and relaxing. That's great, if that's what you're into, but to each their own.

Getting in a car, travelling hours, paying for a hotel room just to sit and relax isn't my idea of a good time. I'd much rather save the hotel costs, sit at home in my sweats and binge on chocolate ice cream and netflix. 

When I travel I like to take in the sights, sounds, smells and tastes of whatever city I am visiting.

I search Pinterest, Tripadvisor, and several Google articles to look for those special places. I always try to find reviews from the locals, because they know the good spots. They know the best time of year to visit, they just know, because they live in that environment daily.

With that being said, and Savannah being a huge tourist destination, I wanted to give anyone pondering the idea of visiting this great city, some tips, from a local, yours truly...


Time of Year

Honestly, Fall is the best time of year to visit any location in the Southeast. The weather is just starting to get crisp. The humidity starts dying down. You can wear tall boots with skinny jeans but still rock a short sleeve shirt. You can walk miles and miles and not break a sweat. The leaves start changing and it's just beautiful.

If you're not a fan of Fall like me, than I would suggest some time in late March. The weather still has some chill, and the flowers start blooming. Early summer, around May is another good option. Steer clear of June, July and August. It is the hottest months here in the South. The thermometer may say 85, but I assure you the humidity makes it seem like 110! I'm not a fan of boob sweat and afro's while on vacation, but if that's your style than go for it!


Where to Stay

Hotels are one of my #1 things that I research. I want to make sure that I find a hotel that doesn't break the bank, but also one that is centrally located to everything and preferably with a view.

I have stayed in three hotels in Savannah and I would suggest all three, but like any hotel, they each have their pros/cons. 


The Westin is actually in South Carolina, believe that! The name suggests that you are in Savannah (which in a sense you are) but you're actually in the great state of SC!

I've stayed in the Westin, twice. Both times were great and out of the three it's my personal favorite and one that I would suggest over and over again. 

Pro:

You get to see all of River Street. Sure staying on River Street is nice, but then  you don't have the actual view of River Street, just the cobblestones and the river. Staying at the Westin, you get to see the river, and the beautiful Savannah skyline.

Con:

Getting into Savannah. The Westin has a shuttle boat which takes their guests back and forth from River Street to the hotel that runs all throughout the day, but like most things it stops at a certain time of night. I believe 10pm, but don't quote me on that. If you drive your car as a tourist, sure it's a quick 5 minute driver over the bridge into downtown, but good luck finding parking! If you fly into Savannah a five minute drive you wouldn't think would be costly, but bear in mind that the cabbie is driving into two different states. It's a joke, I know, seeing as how the state line is literally right there! But a minimum fare for a five minute drive from the Westin to Downtown is $25 (tip not included!)

Tip:

Pay the extra and book a balcony river view room. Worth every last cent!


Savannah Riverfront Marriott is one I had the pleasure of staying in at a discount as it was a work function.  Once the work function was over we had the option of staying or just going home. Tarl and I turned it into a weekend and became local tourists.

Pro:

You are on Riverstreet, but still secluded from the hustle and bustle of all the tourists and traffic as it's on the far east side of river street. This is perfect for someone who wants to wind down after a long day of sight seeing. You can come back, relax and not worry about noisy crowds or late night party goers.

Con:

The Con, as crazy as it may seem, goes hand in hand with the pro. This hotel is truly on the far east side, which means there is quite a bit of walking from the hotel to the center of it all. It's not crazy far, but it is definitely a walk. Although the west facing side of the hotel has a great view of Riverstreet, the east side doesn't have anything. Basically, Riverstreet and historic Savannah ends on the East side of this hotel.

Tip:

Again, splurge on a balcony room facing the river and/or Riverstreet.


Tarl and I stayed in the Courtyard Marriott the night we went to the Josh Turner concert in Savannah. He was playing in the Savannah Civic Center and we wanted a hotel within walking distance so we could enjoy the concert, maybe grab a drink after and then walk back to the hotel.

This hotel was very nice. We had a balcony room and we enjoyed sitting out there in the evening looking down at the sidewalk, people watching.

Pro:

This hotel isn't directly located on River Street and is quite a few blocks from it actually, so the cost is more efficient than that of a hotel located directly on the water front.

Con:

Although located in the heart of downtown, it's off the beaten path and it requires blocks of walking to get somewhere, so just keep that in mind if you stay here.

Tip:

Pay for valet parking. Seems not worth it, trust me, I know, but the parking garage in this hotel can be quite small and dark.

I always enjoy staying overnight in Savannah. It's a lot of fun playing hometown tourists.
Here are some hotels that I've heard wonderful things about. They are on my list to stay...

Riverstreet Inn
Hyatt Regency
Andaz Savannah


Eats & Sweet Treats

Food, food, food. Most families #1 question every day of the week, let alone on vacation.
Where to eat?!

You've got to realize if I broke down every single restaurant it would take up pages and pages of this blog post. I've been eating in Savannah for over 20 years, but I do have a few favorites and a few that I would say to skip, again, all these opinions are solely my own. Just because I had a poor experience doesn't mean that everyone does. Just because I enjoy the food at a certain place, doesn't mean that everyone will. Just keep that in mind.

Huey's on the River - did you see that pic above of the shrimp and grits? Their food is amazing! Just get there early for lunch or dinner to put your name in. The wait is never under 45 minutes, so make sure you have patience! Worth the wait though!

Spanky's - get the fried vegetables! It's the entire reason we go...order the large, trust me you'll regret it if you only order the small.

Musato's Japanese Steakhouse - yes, it's hibachi. Nothing new, right? Well they have the best Japanese food that I've yet to try anywhere else. Their sushi is delicious too.

The Pirate's House - this is a tourist trap, but it's also a locals favorite! Their fried shrimp is perfectly crisp on the outside and juicy and delicious on the inside. The ambiance is stunning and they even have a pirate who often walks around to take pictures and converse with guests.

Corleone's - for years I wanted to eat here. It's nestled right on a little corner in downtown with cafe tables on the exterior and gorgeous Italian decorations on the interior. Authentic Italian cuisine is what the signs read on the outside. Well Italian's must love salt, and a little bit too much. My scallops tasted nothing but salt. I felt like a cow licking a salt brick. Our appetizer, again, nothing but salt. Tarl's dish, salty. We couldn't even eat our dinner. Corleone's is also very pricey. I will never again pay that much money and eat there with the experience we had.

The Lady & Sons - Paula Deens infamous restaurant located on the corner of city marker. I went here with Tarl, my sister and her husband. LaTesha and I were so excited about trying it because for years we have always wanted to go. I'm not sure if it was the build up of wanting to eat there, or just expecting more from a well known and established chef like Paula Deen, but the food was lackluster. You had the choice to eat off of the buffet or order off a small menu. Tarl and Aaron ordered off the menu, LaTesha and I chose the buffet. Let's just leave it at this. My mom cooks a way better fried chicken. The green beans looked like they came from a can and Aaron & Tarls dinners just weren't great. Don't get me wrong, the food was okay, but not $100+ worth in my opinion.

La Berry - stop here. Get the taro yogurt. You're welcome!


Things to Do and See

Savannah has endless sight seeing options, but I suggest going on a horse drawn carriage. This way you get to see a lot of downtown and also hear stories of how certain places became famous. There are several different options for tours. Tarl and I have done two ghost tours in Savannah and it was great. We've done a riding one and a walking one. The walking tour was honestly my most favorite because we got to stop and take pictures and actually take the time to see the sights, but both are a great option.

The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is a must see. The exterior architecture is unbelievable and the interior is gorgeous!

If you're more into night life just hit up Riverstreet anytime after 8pm. There are endless bars to suit every fancy. Karaoke. Dancing. Cocktails. Beer. Sippin' wine. You name it, there is a bar to suit your needs. My favorite bar for ambiance and a view is the Hyatt. You can sit outside with a drink in your hand with views below you of Riverstreet and the beautiful river. Across the river is the Westin so you get to see lights from the hotel and pool and see the boats as they cross the river. My favorite bar for drinks is Wet Willies, which is a franchise, but I don't drink often, so when I do I want something fruity and frozen.

The best way to see Savannah, from a locals point of view, is to simply walk. Start at one end and go to the other. There is something on every corner to see, eat or do.


If you're thinking of visiting Savannah anytime soon, feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

xo

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger