To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

January 19, 2016

Mama, I'm hot!

Yesterday morning the alarm went off. Tarl and I both had to work but Cadence had school off in remembrance of Dr. Martin Luther King. That alarm snooze was my best friend for 30 minutes, but alas, it was time to get up and ready for work.

Like most mornings, Cadence came and snuggled up to us prior to the alarm going off. That child has never known what sleeping in is. I pray this lasts through her teenage years as well and we never have to fight her to get up and go to school. Wishful thinking? Maybe.

Anyways. I got up, brushed my teeth, put on my pants and at this point realized sweet girl was still lying in bed. I told her to get up and when she sat up she had a pitiful look on her face like she was on the verge of tears. This is very unlike Cadence. She wakes up happy, goes to bed happy, she's just a happy sweet girl.

That's when I asked what was wrong and she replied with tears streaming her face, "mama, I'm hot." I felt her forehead and sure enough poor gal was running a fever. It was low grade, around 100, but still enough to make her feel pitiful so I stayed home with her yesterday.

With a little motrin, she was back to her usual self until around 5pm, when she started feeling bad again, so we gave her some more motrin, and praise the Good Lord she is still fever free. Tarl is staying home with her today just as a precaution and she's been good all day long and the last time she had motrin was at 5pm yesterday. It looks as if it was just a 24 hour bug. I pray it's gone!

It doesn't matter how old your child(ren) is, whenever she gets sick, it's just as scary as it is the very first time they get sick. Cadence is a generally healthy child with an average of two bad colds (with fever) per year and maybe one or two just head colds with a runny nose, but y'all, school is no joke!

Germs and lice and more germs and snotty noses and the sounds of coughing filtering throughout the hallway. Cadence is always saying how so and so was out for a week due to an illness. It's like I tell Cadence, germs and Jesus are everywhere so wash your hands and then use them to pray!


On Sunday, before the illness hit and with thoughts of work on our minds, we decided to venture out to Savannah and window shop. Window shopping turned into actual shopping in our local Belk, particularly the Lilly Section. Window shopping fail!

To my defense, the navy/pink coral print Callahan's were on sale for half off (and no longer online) and as far as the Purple Dahlia Walsh shorts, (click the link below to buy), I've been eyeing those babies ever since Lilly introduced them so I took the plunge before they were sold out!




I hope to do a Lilly blog post soon to show you all my goodies. Other than a spare few, I haven't paid full price for any of them! Y'all know I'm all about bargains!



No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger