To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

November 5, 2013

Fun Thanksgiving Post!


First things first...Target last night finally had their red cups!
Hello baby!


I scored these booties and this is a terrible picture of them...not to mention the horrendous carpet in my office at work, but I love them! Link and Target pic provided below.


Women's Mossimo® Vonnie Shootie Ankle Boot - Black
Mossimo Vonnie Shootie Ankle Boot

*****

Now onto my Thanksgiving post!

I am a sucker for Food Network, especially around the Holidays. I watch all of the Holiday specials that focus around Thanksgiving and Christmas, with my notepad and pen in hand ready to jot down recipes and ideas (especially the Barefoot Contessa). I also collect Food Network magazine and have purchased them each month for the past 3 years! I wanted to share one of my favorite pages in this months Thanksgiving magazine because it genuinely surprised me! "How America does Thanksgiving" was the title of the article and it's where FNM polled thousands of readers answers focusing around their Thanksgiving meal.



What is the most famous pie? Pumpkin, Apple or Pecan?

My first guess was Pumpkin, Pecan than Apple...53% of readers prefer Pumpkin, 25% went with Apple, and the remaining 22% indulged in Pecan Pie. 

I'm in the 25th percentile! Love Apple Pie on Thanksgiving/Christmas/any day of the week!



*****

Does America prefer their turkey roasted, fried or grilled?

91% Roasted, 6% Fried, 3% Grilled, I'm in the 6th percentile.



*****

When you eat dinner on Thanksgiving, is it at the table served family style, or does everyone pile around a buffet? My family is the latter, huge buffet spread out (good luck getting the crescent rolls before they're all gone!) which is 42% of America. 58% do it family style around the table.

*****

Did you know that most cooks get up between 6/7am to start cooking, however only 6% of America get up around 4am to start...my mom is in that 6%!

*****

There are an average of 7 side dishes served with the Turkey. We are not in the average because in my family each of us brings 2 - 3 dishes while my mom is in charge of the bird...we probably have around 10 - 13 side dishes annually.

*****

51% are for whole berry cranberry sauce, while the other 49% prefers the jellied right out the can. I cannot eat whole cranberry sauce. I love the jellied kind that slides right out of the can. In fact, the hubs and I ate an entire can this past weekend!

*****

The average family eats at 4pm, but out of all the people they polled, only 9 of them ate their meal at 10am. I don't understand that...the parade isn't even over yet and it's still breakfast time. But to each his own I suppose.

*****

And just because the pics are too darn cute not to share, here are some old pictures of
 Cadence's first Thanksgiving!



It's hard to believe this was almost 5 years ago!

I don't know about you but I am so ready to wake up on Thanksgiving morning, cup of coffee in hand, preheat the oven to start my side dishes for moms, watching the parade in New York. (One day I will get to go see it live). Then get prepared for Black Friday and CHRISTMAS!

Happy Thanksgiving month!









2 comments

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger