To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

November 26, 2013

My famous trifle!

I'm the dessert girl in my family. Maybe it's because I worked at a bakery for 5 years, maybe it's because I eat dessert before dinner or just maybe because even though I can't fry a damn chicken, I sure as shit can bake a cake!
Well normally I start from scratch, but when you have 15 different people saying they want 15 different things, yet you only have enough cash for one, you improvise.
One year for Easter different family members wanted different desserts, fruity, cakey, creamy...so I just combined them. Granted this trifle isn't anything special and has been done by many before I'm sure, it's delicious and I'm kinda famous for it in mia famiglia!
You will need:
Sara Lee All Butter Pound Cake (because nobody does it like....you know!) Also, don't get the light and dreamy one either, this is a fattening recipe. You don't do this light, you do this right! And by that I mean buttery everything!
1 Package of Cool Whip - the big one! As mentioned above, get the good stuff, like Kraft, and don't skimp out on the little container, pay the extra 0.86 cents and get the big tub, you know the one that you can bathe in.
Strawberries, or any fruit that you prefer. We're a strawberry family. No one complains when there are strawberries unless there's only one or two left, fighting will ensue.
Cut the pound cake up into bite size squares, line them up in your trifle dish, then add a layer of diced strawberries and a layer of whip cream. Repeat this until the dish is filled. Make it beautiful by piping the top layer with a decorated tip, then add a strawberry...voila!
Alas, I had a glorious picture of my trifle from last year, per usual when it comes to blogging I can't find the pic anywhere...use your imagination!
xo

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger