To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

June 27, 2014

A typical Target trip...

1 - When I walk in and there is the glorious dollar spot. I came in for one particular item in mind, but the dollar spot is an absolute must. My breathing gets heavier as I quickly grab and throw items into my buggy as if it were the last item standing, although there are 50 more of the same item. Let's be honest, I absolutely do need the "grow your own cilantro", and Cadence would love this miniature American flag. Oh my word, they have kitchen towels for $1!!! So I grab about five of those bad boys. I've realized that I've already got $10 worth of items in my buggy and I just walked in the door, keep walking Miranda...

2 - I don't need any more t- shirts. I've already got two in the same style in different colors, but looky here, there is a beautiful aztec print one and I ease my mind seeing that they are 10% off. The shirt itself is only $9, so I'm only saving $0.90 cents, but still, it makes me feel better about throwing that in the buggy, so it gets added to my collection of goodies.

3 - Woo child, look at those precious short shorts. One in every color imaginable. I quickly grab the hot pink (naturally), mint, and standard denim and head straight to try them on. The clerk asks me how many and I tell her three. I ask her very politely to watch my buggy as if it were her child around a cliff. I don't want anyone else grabbing my goods that I have took the time to pick out.

4 - I walk into the dressing room and wouldn't you know I love all three pairs. At $20 a pop it ain't  happening today though, so I make a hard decision and choose the mint. I justify that because I already have pink and denim shorts. I politely hand her the pink and denim and sadly put the mint shorts in the buggy, all by their lonesome selves. They look up at me, sadly, screaming to put their friends back in with them, so I turn around real quick and grab the pink pair and shove them in too. There there little mint green shorts, now you have your pink sister to keep you company.

5 - I rush out of the clothes being careful not to look at any other items, scared that I would have to shove them in the cart too, and thats when I see the kids clothes. Cadence would love this maxi dress and she would look damn cute in it, ah what the hell, that gets thrown in to.

6 - Tarls birthday is coming up and there is a card that fits him to a tee - throw it in!

7 - Look at that planner. I already have two, but I don't have one that would fit in my purse as perfectly as that one, guess what I did...yep - threw it in the buggy!

8 - Onto what I came in here to get, concealer. The bags under my eyes are heavier than the grocery bags will be when I walk out of the store, so to Maybelline I go...but wait, look at that book. It looks like a great read and I just love hard copies rather than reading them on a kindle or iPhone, so that gets shoved on top of the rising buggy load.

9 - I finally made it to the beauty aisle and saw a brush that promises no tangles, hallelujah, let's get that too!

10 - Look, e.l.f. has new products. Raging from $1 - $3 I stock up. Can't wait to try that new contour brush, hoping that it will work as well as the Nars Ita Brush (not a chance!).

11 - I've realized I have already spent too much time in this God forsaken store, so I head to check out keeping my eyes solely on my buggy and no other merchandise but of course while waiting in line to check out I see the July edition of Food Network magazine and the latest Kardashian scandal on the cover of US Weekly, might as well throw them in there too, what the hell.

12 - I'm almost out of gum so I grab some trident. The clerk starts ringing me up and my heart rate starts going back to normal again. I'm done. I've made it to checkout. "Miss", the clerk says, I look up. "That will be $110.00." What the f***?!!! What the hell did I get? I look at the four bags, loaded with clothes, beauty products and the rest of my belongings and sadly swipe my card.

13 - On my way out the doors, depressed and my card burning from it's most recent "swipe" I realize a Vente Lime Refresher would make me feel better and Starbucks is conveniently located at the exit, so I head for that wonderful place. After the barista makes my drink I thank her and go on my way.

14 - I'm free I think to myself as I feel the fresh air and see the sunlight. Free at last and boy does this lime refresher taste good. I start loading my bags in the car, return the buggy and head out the parking lot.

Shit, I forgot to get concealer...

Happy Friday folks!


1 comment

  1. Hahaha! Oh my gosh this is me to a tee. That darn dollar spot gets me every single time I am in Target. I now own about a million pens and sticky notes and note card because of the dollar spot. Yikes!!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger