To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

June 5, 2014

Weekend Getaway and More





Excuse my absence the past two days I've been busy trying to keep up with work, home life, all the while preparing for our Florida trip (we leave tonight! yay!)


I didn't want to go the entire rest of the week without posting, so I warn you it will be a bit random today.


//


This is on point! The Life of a Southern Belle and 14 things you won't understand unless you are one.


//


This picture makes me want to start building my dream house, like, yesterday!



Hydrangeas, ferns, sweet potato vine make a great planter arrangement for the shade, and create a beautiful and welcoming vignette for this house.
via
//

I am all packed and ready to head to Destin as soon as I get off work, so hurry up 5:00! God willing everything will go as planned and we will have a fun time down there and Cadence will have a fun time with her grandparents. Emily and I have been texting all week counting down the days and I can't believe that the day has arrived. The funny thing about vacays though is the fact that the days leading up to the vacation take forever and the vacation itself goes by in a flash.

Packing 101 

Lists, lists and more lists. Packing for myself is pretty standard, but packing for your child can get tricky. You never want them to leave home without their favorite stuffed animal, movies to keep them occupied, and of course their favorite snacks that may not be at their sitters, so lists are key.

I have made three lists for this trip. One for Cadence's items, one for my items, and one for last minute items (i.e. toothbrush, hairbrush, makeup - the items that you will use the morning of so you can't quite pack yet)

Vacation Essentials

This depends on where you're travelling. If you're going to the mountains during the winter, you don't quite need a beach towel, but since we're going to Destin, Florida at the beginning of Summer, this vacation essential post will be geared towards that.

Beach Spiker, monogrammed of course! Great for setting that drink down while enjoying some sun. You don't have to worry about getting sand on or in your drink.

via
Beach Towel, once again, monogrammed! If you're staying at a resort or hotel on the beach, chances are they provide you with a towel to return, but I am a fan of comfort and bringing my own towel knowing that I am the only one who has ever used it, comforts me. Plus that monogram adds that southern touch :)

Of course the normal essentials - tanning spray or sunblock, whatever your preference may be. Magazines or a good book are also handy while at the beach, but I prefer friends to make memories with, and a fruity cocktail!

//

Did you watch the CMT Awards last night? Loved it, and I'm going to recap my favorite performances...










I have to say I wasn't impressed with the collaboration, but I purchased it on iTunes this morning and wow - it's great! I guess with all the jumping around and entertaining it just doesn't sound as clear as the actual song itself without all the hooping and hollering. One of my new favorites for sure!

Brantley Gilbert was amazing. His performance was great, he socialized with his fans and it doesn't hurt that he is easy on the eyes. #tattoosanyone

Of course my favorite performance of the evening was Jake Owen's. He was looking pretty darn good beachin' it!

I still cannot believe that Carrie Underwood won the biggest title of the night, Video of the Year. I have nothing against Carrie Underwood, but in my opinion FGL or Luke Bryan should have won it. I just don't see how her video deserved the win, but that's just my opinion.

//

I'm off to finish the rest of my chores #grownupprobs


Have a great weekend everyone!

I'll be beachin'...

2 comments

  1. Yeah I was surprised about Carrie too; I love her but I think the FGL and Luke videos were a bit more fitting for the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that house is amazing! I can't believe that I forgot the CMT awards were on :( Sad day! I guess I will just have to look and see who won what. I'm new to your blog :)
    xoxo
    Rachel
    www.blondewithachanse.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger