To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

June 19, 2014

The list keeps growing (NYC)

It's no secret that I have a love for all things related to New York City. Weird thing is I've never been. I think sometimes you just know in your heart that you will love something even without ever knowing it, and that's how I feel about NYC.

I love everything about my simple southern life and I wouldn't trade it for the world, but a trip out of this small town is always exciting and NYC has been on my radar for years.

Tarl has promised me that he will take me before my 30th birthday. It's bittersweet in the fact that it's not too far away, both the trip and the # 30, but if I get a vacation to NYC out of it, I think I'll be okay :)

I cannot tell you how many lists I've made throughout the years that revolve around the big apple. Restaurants, hotels, things to do, places to see, pictures to take, ahhh - the lists are endless.

Tarl and I are leaning towards October 2015, so a little over a year to plan and save. I've read countless articles online and every one have said the same thing, that New York in the fall is magnificent. Plus it's my birthday month, so holla!

We're planning on taking an early flight out on a Thursday and returning on Sunday, so essentially three full days in the city.

I have so many things that I want to do, but I'm also not naive, so I'm not anticipating being able to do every thing on my list, but here are some must do's for us:

Visit the following (quick trips just for pictures):

NYC Public Library
Ground Zero
Washington Square Park
Bryant Park
Flat Iron Building
Wall Street (and the infamous bull)
64 Perry Street (Carrie Bradshaw's Apartment)
Rockefeller Center
Grand Central Station
St. Patrick's Cathedral

Visit the following (longer trips, more walking, more to see):

Museum of Modern Art (FYI - it's free on Friday's from 4:30 - 8)
Central Park
Belvedere Castle in Central Park
Times Square
Taping of The Today Show
Empire State Building at Night
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge and take pictures of the Statue of Liberty

Places to shop:

Dylans Candy Bar
Tiffany's
Macy's @ Herald Square
FAO Schwarz
Miscellaneous shops along 5th Avenue

Must eats:

Magnolia Bakery
Any Hot Dog stand
Grimaldi's Pizza (but remember it's cash only)
Serendipity 3
Sprinkles Cupcake ATM
The Boathouse at Central Park
Coffeehouse for breakfast/brunch

Right now the hardest decision for us is the hotel. There are hundreds to choose from in so many different locations. Never having been it's a tough decision and since the city is so vast I don't want to choose one away from everything.

We want a hotel that is centrally located, but we also don't want one that is in the center of Times Square.

If you've ever been to NYC, what are your hotel suggestions? Did I leave something off my must do list?

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.


1 comment

  1. I too am in-love with NYC. As an European, born in middle Germany, I've seen a lot of metropolitan cities like Berlin, Bonn and Munich, but New York is something totally different. I felt so little there, but not in a scary way. For a hotel deal, I can offer you what my boss uses when we need to travel to NYC. Cheap hotels in NYC. I don't know if they are actually cheap, because nothing in NYC actually is, but they offer loyalty coupons and other premium deals for our company, so I guess you'd be able to find what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger