To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

December 2, 2014

#Blogmas14 Day 2 | Christmas Cards


#Blogmas14

#Blogmas14 Day 2 - Christmas Card Edition

Ok, so let me tell you we don't do Christmas cards and the reason behind it is simple. Cadence's first year we did a card for every holiday - every.single.one! It started with her birth announcement, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving and then Christmas. Vistaprint and Tiny Prints knew me by name in 2009 and between the cards themselves, envelopes and postage I spent well over $500. Way too much and looking back on it...ouch! 

We have done it simple the past 5 years since then...take a nice family photo using my Nikon, tripod and the self timer option and post it to Facebook and other forms of social media along with well wishes. 

This year, my favorite picture of the three of us is probably this one because it's so us!



Taken in August - in the dead of summer. Note that Tarl is in jeans and a heavy shirt. I am in jeans and two tops. Cadence's hair is a sweaty mess, Tarls shirt is wrinkled and my facial expression is somewhere between crying and bursting out laughing due to being so miserably hot, along with running in place after setting the self timer button and dodging a chihuahua underneath our feet (whom you cannot see in the picture). It's real, it's us and I love it. 

This is my second favorite and our entire family - pets included.



We moved inside and it's hilarious to me how Rosie is looking perfectly at the camera and Hector (the cat) is looking at Tarl like "what in the eff are we doing?!" Unfortunately our sweet Hecky has been missing for a good month now and we miss him desperately so this picture will forever hold a spot in my heart.

I do love this one taken on Easter this year.



But this one is my favorite...



The loves of my life!


3 comments

  1. Such sweet photos!! Christmas cards can be so expensive! We started taking them on our camera as well, makes it a lot cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pictures... that last one is super adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! I had to put down my sweet Romeo this year, shortly after our family pictures. So I know what you mean when you say that picture will hold a spot in your heart!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger