To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

December 9, 2014

Playing Catch Up

My family has been sick since November 30th - so ready to have a healthy household again! Cadence was sick last Sunday - Thursday. I started feeling bad Friday afternoon but got worse on Sunday. Cadence started feeling better on Thursday then Sunday night her fever spiked and came back rearing it's ugly head. Took off yesterday to mend myself and take her to the doctor. She was negative for strep, flu and a bladder infection. Her X-rays were good so they think she got a back to back virus. I'm sneezing my way through work today with a raw red nose, watery eyes and the voice of a mouse but I'm here. Cadence went all night without a fever so I'm praying to the Good Lord we're finally starting to get better. It's hard having the Christmas spirit when you're not feeling well. Kindergarten is no joke folks. Cadence has always been a healthy girl with only about two colds a year, I think we're on #5 since she started school back in August...cooties are contagious!


Sick or not, here's what we've been up to...

Since Hector, our cat, went missing two months ago we've done nothing but search the streets, put up posters and spread the word on social media. Unfortunately he never returned and we never heard anything from anyone regarding his whereabouts. Ever since Cadence has asked for a kitten for Christmas. Our local shelter just recently posted about how they were offering free adoptions throughout the Christmas season and we thought it was the perfect time, so on Friday afternoon I picked up our little Sawyer, whom we are absolutely smitten with!


We were going to wait until Christmas Day to surprise her but with the shelter offering free adoptions we didn't want to risk the chance of someone snatching up this cute little fellow so Santa left a note stating that he wanted Sawyer to get used to his new family so he could enjoy Christmas comfortably and lovingly.

On Friday afternoon our local town had what they call a blizzard. They bring in snow machines and for $5 kids can play in it. They've done this the past few years but this was our first time attending and we won't be doing it again I can tell you that. Snow my a**, it was more like little ice chips mixed with mud. Cadence enjoyed it for about 10 seconds (enough for a few pictures) and then was ready to leave. The crowds were ridiculous. I swear everyone in our hometown must have been in attendance because you couldn't walk without being shoulder to shoulder with another person. The best part was the Festival of Trees next door. Cadence loved walking and seeing all the local trees and wreaths that people created, her Kindergarten class even submitted a tree with ornaments made by the students, even one by our sweet girl. You can put a bid in on a tree and I surely did - I'll find out tonight if I am the highest bidder. *fingers crossed*

We did enjoy the cake walk and I won a big cupcake so it wasn't a total bust, just thought the snow could have been a little bit better, especially for what you payed verses what you got to actually do and too many people at a time doing it.




She saw one of her school friends there :)

Saturday morning was Cadence's PJ breakfast party. This year we did a low key birthday bash. Parents and siblings only. Minimal decor and breakfast food. Heck, I even suggested everyone wear their pajamas - it was still a lot of fun and a lot less stressful!

Olly found out about her PJ party and brought her a special pair to wear for the day!












The party was a success and she had a blast. It was so easy not having to worry if my house was absolutely spotless. Moving the pets out of the way. Making sure the yard was perfect along with spending money on needless decorations. We kept the breakfast easy with grits, eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, store bought donuts and a fruit tray. Everyone enjoyed themselves and we may keep this low key tradition for a while.

For her birthday present we got her a much needed new bed spread with sheets. To match her bathroom we chose hot pink and zebra print. She was pleased.



After everyone left and we straightened up the house we gave her the rest of her birthday present, which was time spent at the winter carnival in Savannah and her favorite dinner, Japanese.

Savannah did great this year. They set up a small little carnival beside the Westin and all proceeds benefit local charities. We went straight for the ferris wheel at sunset with wonderful views of downtown Riverstreet.







We woke up the next morning to Chef Olly donning his chef hat and apron. He also brought Cadence a hat and apron along with some cookie mix. I figured he thought we could take the hint.




Monday morning he was trying to play Santa



and this morning



Love that little elf :)

Sick or not, I've spent some great time with my sweet girl and Tarl has taken good care of us between the several rolls of tissue paper, cooking chicken noodle soup, back rubs, belly rubs, snuggles and even doing laundry for me even though he dreads it. Couldn't ask for a better husband, daughter or even our sweet pets who come check on us when we're in the bathroom contemplating whether or not we're going to be sick. TMI? Maybe. But we've all been there, let's be honest!



Rosie didn't know what I was doing but that face was one of concern that I had to snap the picture. Priceless!


One of Cadence's favorite things to do is draw on her magnetic pad and guess who or what she's drawn - this one was easy to guess and impressed the hell out of me - she did great with daddy pig if I do say so myself!


Decorating gingerbread in between medicine - don't worry we aren't going to eat it with all the germs. I do however encourage you to decorate a gingerbread kit with your little ones. It's fun for all parties. Even Tarl joined in and helped to decorate it.

I pray that my little one and I are done with this virus/cold whatever it is. Coughing hurts, our noses are sore and raw from blowing it so much. Stiff necks, sleepless nights, fevers and body aches. Please keep us in your prayers. If all is well with our health we have some fun Christmas things planned starting this Wednesday...hope to share!

xo


No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger