To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

December 18, 2014

Oh Ina Garten...

The Barefoot Contessa is my all time favorite food network star. I've watched her for years and years. I think the thing I love most about her is the fact that she makes fancy food and that's not something I'm used to so I love to try and recreate her dishes. Truth be told, I've made countless meals from her recipes and either I can't cook her dishes well or her food is a little too fancy for my palate because it just doesn't turn out well.

The only thing that I have made of Ina's that I've made repeatedly is her Brussell Sprouts. Cut the ends off, toss them in olive oil, some salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for about 30 - 35 minutes and they are absolutely delicious.

I've tried her mushroom lasagna - um, no! The other day I watched her pasta episode, which I've seen countless times but each time her lobster mac-n-cheese looks divine so last night I made it.



I will say this - it looks delicious. It is very creamy and the baked bread crumbs on top give it just the texture it needs, but the seafood just doesn't mix well with the mac-n-cheese. This is a fantastic mac-n-cheese recipe, and one that I will make again however I will leave out the lobster. Some times it's about tweaking someone's recipes and turning them into your own. So thanks Mrs. Garten...I finally have found a creamy mac-n-cheese!

*****

For the past few months Cadence has been an early riser. I'm talking 6am that kid is up bright and early. Well this morning I couldn't sleep so I got up, turned the living room light on. Well it woke her up and the pets so this is what was going on at our house this morning at 6am.




*****

If you have ever seen the Elf on the Shelf, the movie, then you have seen the little elf in the beginning who has the mail cart loaded with letters to Santa rushing into meet Santa to give them to him. Well each time we watch the movie Cadence always says it's Olly, turns out, it is!



He even brought a bunch of tiny little envelopes, all addressed to Santa to prove it!

The night before last he was found hiding in our tree with a new ornament just for him...


Can y'all believe only one week to go?

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger