To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

July 17, 2015

Five on Friday | Huge Sale


Bless it y'all, that was one slow work week! The time just seemed to drag on and on and I'm so happy it's finally Friday! Without further adieu let's get to today's post...

-one-

If you are visiting my blog for the first time and didn't see my post this week, I'm heading back to the big city! This time I'm travelling with my sister, Angela, rather than my husband. This will be my second trip to New York and Angela's first. 

Angela and I have discussed the big apple for years and years. She's always wanted to see it as badly as I have and when I got to go this past March, she vicariously lived through my vacation with the hundreds of pictures that I posted. Now this time she will get to experience it for herself, and I cannot wait to go back. Plus, let's face it, going with your girlfriends and going with your spouse are two totally different trips. You do certain things with one, and certain things with the other. 

I know Tarl didn't want to lug around Macy's and Henri Bendel's with me, so we skipped those stores on our visit. Well Angela is on the same page as me and I cannot wait to window shop around New York.

What we are currently doing to prepare for our trip is making separate lists. She's making the places she wants to go and I'm doing the same. We'll compare the two and make a strategic plan to ensure that we get to see most of both of our lists.

I don't think we'll have any issues, because when she and I spoke this morning with what we had written thus far, 98% of our lists were identical, which sure does make it easier.

At this point, I'm just so happy and blessed to be going back to the city, and so quickly! I can't believe I'm going back again this year. It's just a true blessing that things worked out the way they did. Cheap tickets, which Tarl paid for as a birthday present. A good commission check through work for the quarter will be my spending money and doesn't affect any other money out of my regular paycheck for bills and day to day living, and the hotel costs were split down the middle. 

Sure, we may not be eating at Jean Gorge or Tavern on the Green, but a New York slice is so delicious and works perfect for us (not to mention a slice is about $3)!

I think the hardest thing for us is going to be packing. We're only taking carry ons since it's a weekend trip and I don't feel like paying extra for checked luggage. However, we're going in September and September weather in the city can be tricky, with gorgeous 70s in the day, but dropping down in the 60s at night...#struggleisreal



-two-

I shared this video on my FaceBook page earlier this week, and I've listened to it twice, both times respecting this gentleman more and more! Everyone needs to take the time to watch it and truly heed his words.

I also shared this, and feel like it needs to be shared here as well...



-three-

Now is the time to buy for your little ones! Especially if they have an up-coming birthday, or for Christmas! DisneyStore is having their annual Friends and Family sale, now through Sunday. You save 25% off your entire purchase using code DISNEYPAL.

Everyone is going on and on about some Nordstrom sale, and I'm over here like what about Disney y'all!? :)

Seriously though, it's great and a huge money saver. I bought Cadence the Cinderella dress and four nightgowns for our trip. Nightgowns are currently $17, but if you buy two, then they are only $14 a piece, so I bought 4, knocking $12 off right there. My total was over $130 and if you spend over $75 you get free shipping. With all the discounts, including free shipping, it knocked my total to around $75...can't beat that!


-four-

At six years old Cadence has gotten grounded for the very first time in her life.
I've noticed within the past week or two that she seems to be brushing her teeth rather quickly. Well this morning I payed very close attention to see if I heard her bathroom faucet running and sure enough I didn't. As I was putting on my makeup, she came walking in my bathroom. I asked if she had brushed her teeth and without a hitch she told me yes ma'am. 

I knew good and well she hadn't, so I asked her again and that's when she knew that I knew. 

Cadence wears her heart on her sleeve and just realized that I had caught her in a lie. I then asked her if she has been lying the past couple weeks about it and she confessed.

Through the tears and sobs I explained to her that we must brush our teeth. Good oral hygiene is very important and protects us from getting toothaches and cavities. I explained to her that I was most upset that she lied to me and that lying is never a good choice or acceptable. 

Her favorite show at the moment is Teen Titans Go. Lord help me I don't know why that child loves that show, but she does, and a new episode comes on every Friday. Well her butt is grounded from TV, including Teen Titans Go. That sent her over the edge, but she understood the consequences from her actions.

Raising kids is no joke y'all!


-five-

Happy Friday folks!

1 comment

  1. AnonymousJuly 17, 2015

    I am so sick of hearing about Bruce Jenner. Choosing to make changes to your body is not hero material. By the same logic, I should be a hero if I dye my hair.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger