To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

July 8, 2015

July | Goals



1-Start Christmas Shopping
2-Start Getting Tarl's Birthday Gift(s)
3-Finish A Book (currently reading Grey)
4-Start School Supply Shopping & Uniform Shopping
5-Cook at Home More
6-Family Game Night Once Per Week
7-Family Movie Night Once Per Week

***

So I admit it. I've slacked doing monthly goal posts for myself, but there is no better time than the present to render the situation. Plus there are a lot of goals to achieve this month, let's break it down, shall we?

Christmas Shopping

So happy to say that I have already begun this goal. I've only bought one present thus far. Naturally it's for Miss Priss, but I couldn't pass up the sale price of $9.99 at Michael's for one of Cadence's favorite activities, Kinetic Sand. She adores the stuff and so do I. It's not super sticky like Play Doh and it is easy to clean too. They normally are priced at $15, but I snagged it while it was on sale. 

I know I still have a lot to do, but it's nice knowing I've started!


Tarl's Birthday

I've started this too! Tarl is a simple man and easy to please. (thank goodness!)
He's constantly trying to win a Hoo-Rag on Instagram. 
They are used for hunting and help conceal your face from birds, deer, turkeys, etc. 
Well bless his heart, I just went ahead and bought him one. I can't wait to see his face when he finally gets his Hoo-Rag and can finally stop tagging me on their Instagram page trying to win one by 'tagging a friend'.

He's also been talking non-stop about a Yeti koozie. A damn koozie that costs $30!!!
Crazy, right?? Like most things, you're paying for the name, but I know the struggle because I'm the same way on certain items (hello Lilly Pulitzer!) 
He doesn't know it, but he's getting the koozie too. :)

Finish a Book

I started reading Grey, by E. L. James, which is basically 50 Shades of Grey from Christian's point of view. I purchased the book for my Kindle a couple weeks back when it was released. I read the first four chapters back to back, but then I had the lump scare, dentist appointments, skin checkups, work flow, and the 4th of July, that I kinda just stopped reading it. Now that things have settled down I plan on finishing it this month.


School Supplies & Uniform Shopping

Yay! Another one that I have started on, and gotten most of the way there.
I've already purchased Cadence a new back pack and lunchbox for the school year, along with 90% of her school supply list. Last night we also found uniform shirts on sale at Walmart for under $5 so we snagged them off the rack and now all I have to do is take them to the embroidery shop to get her school logo applied, which I plan on doing Saturday.

The beginning of August South Carolina offers tax-free weekend for all school supplies, this includes uniforms as well. A lot of people question why Tarl and I don't wait to do the shopping until then and the answer is simple...it's worse than Black Friday!

Last year we did this and the lines were just as busy as they are on the Friday after Thanksgiving. 
Wanna know how much we saved? Around $9. That's it, only about 9 bucks. It's not worth it to us to save $9 and have to stand in line for an hour fighting crowds. No thanks!

I could see how tax free weekend would be beneficial if you're purchasing big ticket items. like computers or iPads, but we're not at that stage yet. 


Home Cookin'

I have been slacking big time when it comes to making weekly menus, grocery shopping, and sticking to the menu plans and cooking at home. I blame it on pure laziness but it has to end, and soon! Eating out is not only costly, but incredibly unhealthy for you as well. This month I plan on cooking home a lot more!


Game and Movie Night, Family Style!

This should be an easy one, or so you'd think, but I'm keeping it real here...sometimes the last thing I want to do when I get home from work, after showering, cleaning and getting prepared for the following day, is sit down and play a game with my family. There are days I'd rather just lay in bed and binge watch Orange is the New Black, but time goes by, and quick, and this has to change!

Don't get me wrong. I spend plenty of time with both Cadence and Tarl, and I love it, but I want to make it more of a point and put in more effort to have weekly game nights and movie nights, served with popcorn, naturally!



Happy Hump Day!


P.S. I have a few "Christmas in July" posts scheduled for this month so stay tuned!
(What can I say, y'all know I love me some Christmas time!)

No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger