To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

July 24, 2015

shit happens

Like that title post? It's a classy one, isn't it? #sarcasm

Seriously though, it happens...shit just happens and I cannot stand cookie cutter blogs whose homes are perfect. Children are always well behaved. No bills in sight. Closets are color coordinated. Endless handbags, shoes, perfectly manicured hands and toes. Well you get my drift and I just realized this is sounding like I'm a jealous woman. 

Well I won't lie, I may be a bit envious of their perfectly manicured hands and toes. I bite my nails. It's horribly disgusting but an unfortunate habit I've had all my life. My toes are painted with cheap Walgreens nail paint, but I am loving the hot pink color I currently have on my "piggies" for the summer (I'm ready to ditch it though for a dark coral #fall) I may also be jealous of their never ending clothes, shoes and handbags, well, because, what girl wouldn't be?! #keepingitreal

However, I'm not jealous of their cookie cutter blogs because my life isn't perfect. I have bills. Cadence, although a well behaved child, still has an attitude every now and then. My home is far from perfect, but it's still my home. Our home. And I am so blessed to have a roof over my head when I lay down each night. I'm not jealous because real life stuff goes on. Real life stuff happens every single day (it does to me anyways), and sometimes it's boring reading about the same ole stuff. Am I right? 

As far as today's post goes, there will be no Friday Favorites or a list of five things today, I'm going to keep it real and let you in on what happened to me this morning.

I handle four bank accounts. Tarls. Mine. Ours together and a savings. From day one of combining our lives, Tarl and I have always had separate accounts and it works for us. Bless his heart, Tarl is not one to keep up with every dime he spends and about three years ago he asked me to take his account over. Pay bills out of it, and give him whatever was left over in cash. 

It's worked great. I'm that girl who pays my bills before they're due. That's just me. 
I truly have a super high credit score and that's something I take great pride in.
Tarl is the opposite, he waits for a bill to come in the mail, sets it on top of the microwave and will eventually get around to paying it. Drives me insane!

After having finance charges in the past (because he forgot about them being on the microwave #gofigure), he gave me his account 3 years ago and all bills have been up to date since.

He has loved this. It works for us. We have money in the bank. Bills are paid. We have a little extra to spend. All is well. But, we all screw up, and apparently, today was that day for me!

He got up early this morning and asked how much money he gets after Bills. I told him, he grabbed the card to go to the ATM and get his cash out because he wanted to get myself and him a Red Bull from the gas station. About 20 minutes later I hear him pull up and he comes running in the house with a frustrated look on his face, saying that there was $250 missing out of the account.

My stomach drops and I immediately think that someone has gotten our card number. So we go online and check the account and all is fine, accept there is $130 in overdraft fees.

Turns out, we got groceries a few weeks back and I forgot to deduct that out of the checking log, then add $130 in overdraft fees on top of that, you have $250 missing.

I teared up. He was angry. And we both left upset and pissed off at one another.

He was pissed at me for screwing up. He was pissed at me because he knew that he had to take his spending money and put it back in his account because of my mistake. 

I was mad at him because he was mad at me.

Through it all, he still got me my red bull. Through it all I couldn't imagine myself with anyone else. 
Through it all we are still meant for one another.

Twenty minutes passed by and my phone dinged, it was Tarl, with a heart felt apology. He apologized for getting angry over money. He told me it was hard enough to keep up with one account and doesn't know how I manage to keep up with four and have only made this one mistake in three years. I too said sorry for getting angry. I was just upset at myself because $250 isn't cheap! That kind of money goes along way in our household.

I just wanted to let y'all know that my life isn't perfect. Shit happens. I'm not perfect. My life isn't perfect. We argue but we always love. 

Happy Friday folks...xo


No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger