To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

July 20, 2015

Junky Weekend


This weekend I cleaned out our back room. I'm not even going to lie and say that it was just stored with items, because it was just full of junk!

Items we have accumulated over the years and didn't want to part with at the time. Broken picture frames that I had anticipated repairing but never did...just pure junk!

You couldn't even walk in there! I'm not a hoarder. Point blank. I cannot stand clutter. Period!
I like to be able to walk in a room, even if its a room in my house that rarely gets used, so on Saturday I made it a point to get the room cleaned out from top to bottom, even the closet!

Over the past few months Tarl has been saying he was going to do it. I love him to death, but like a typical man it never got finished. So I changed into some sweats and an old t-shirt and went to work on that bad boy at around 10am on Saturday. By 3 it was clean. Everything that needed trashing got trashed. Every thing that was still in good condition but that we no longer used got put into a pile to sell and every thing that we decided to keep got put into a storage bin, labeled and then we placed it strategically in the closet, organized.

It looks so good and now I can finally see the floor again!

I will say though, I have made my New York spending money by selling off all the items we no longer used or needed. I'm not going to have to dip into my commission check at all for spending money. That's the great thing about organizing and cleaning out those closets (or in this case, an entire room!) you can sell items you didn't even know you had and make some much needed cash!

//

While cleaning out our spare bedroom this weekend, I saw my most favorite storage container, my fall decor! I opened her up and pulled out my pumpkins and faux leaves that sit atop our mantle come late September. I truly can not wait!

I asked Tarl and Cadence if they thought it was too early, Tarls reply was, "Miranda, you do realize it's only July." Well damn!

Seriously though, who else is ready for pumpkins and tall boots and cozy sweaters?!

//

This is great, and true.

//

Happy Monday!

2 comments

  1. AnonymousJuly 20, 2015

    I used to hoard, but in the past couple of years, I have been better about selling or donating items. If they have been sitting in boxes and I forgot about them, then I can usually live without them.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger