To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

July 13, 2015

Weekend Recap | DIY | New Toy


Damnit Monday why'd you have to come so quickly?!
Oh well, let's get this week started, shall we?

My mom gifted me this hutch about 10 years ago and I love it. 
It was given to her a long time ago and when they moved from their house to where they are now, she gave it to me as a gift and I love it. 

It's always stored picture frames and sentimental things and it's real wood with oil rubbed bronze hardware and heavy as all get out! I've been wanting to paint it for a while but I wanted to make sure that my mom was OK with me changing it up a bit. She had no qualms at all and I went to town searching around Pinterest for ideas for the back board.

I knew I wanted the hutch itself to be white, with some dingy looking parts to it to give it that old antique, patina feel, so I chose chalk paint.


Annie Sloan, although I've heard nothing but wonders about it, is just out of my price range so I went with Valspar Chalky Finish Paint, which I purchased at Lowe's. I also purchased the sealing wax. 
They also have an antiquing wax but it was too brown for my taste and the chalk paint already leaves some cracks to give it the antique look I was going for so I went with the standard sealing wax to give it a little bit of a shine, nothing major, but something to keep it from being too matte.


For the hutch itself I went with Kid Gloves and for the back board I used Trousseau Blue, which is a gorgeous blue/gray color.

I started with my first coat after taking all of the doors and backboard off. 
The great thing about chalk paint is the fact that you don't have any prep work. No sanding. No priming! Another perk is until you seal the paint with the wax, it comes off easily, so if you accidentally get some on your floor or glass, it comes right off! (the hutch was just too heavy to move outside to paint)


While painting I noticed Miss Priss oogling her crowns. 
I couldn't resist snapping a pic!


This was after the first coat.


The paint dries quickly, I'd say in about an hour, but they recommend letting your first coat sit overnight. So before I went to bed, after painting the first coat, I shined up the hardware.


A scrub brush and toothpaste gives old hardware a perfect shine!
I've always used this for things and it works like a charm.


I woke up on Saturday morning and put on the second coat of paint to both the hutch and backboard and then put on the wax. I put all the parts and pieces back on and it turned out so wonderful!

Even better than I imagined!


Here's a side by side...


Tarl was pleasantly surprised. He always gets so nervous when I have a paint brush in my hand, but he loved the way it turned out. He even got a wild hair up his ass and painted Cadence's bathroom cabinets with the leftover. Again, it turned out so well! We have plans to do our kitchen cabinets with it, in the near future.

//

I sent these two snapchats this past week...


A girl can dream, right?!


I love a lowcountry sunset!


My little family of three always plays a game when we walk in the door. Where is Sawyer?
We've done this for months now and we always look forward to walking in the house and seeing who can spot him first. Cadence gets a kick out of it and Tarl and I being so competitive, well it makes it fun to say the least! This Saturday he hid in a new spot - he can hide in the darndest places!


Cadence came running into my bedroom on Sunday while I was mopping and said, "mom, hurry, come take a picture". She was right, this was definitely picture worthy :)

Nala & Sawyer

//

Tarl's 30th birthday is in just a few short weeks. We thought about going away for the weekend, but he works out in this heat all day, every day and said that he really didn't want to do that for his birthday, so we splurged and I caved and this is his big 30th birthday present.

Carolina Gamecock colored golf cart. We're also going to get a South Carolina Gamecock decal on the front of it after we get it registered and get insurance on it.

He loves it. I love it. Cadence loves it.


Heck, even my parents love it!


We had a golf cart three years ago and ended up selling it. We always regretted selling it, but we knew eventually we'd get another one and that when that time came, we'd get one we really wanted, with Carolina colors, a lift kit and some nice tires. I'm glad we waited and got this one!

We drove it around all weekend long on our property and once we get it registered and insured we can drive it all over our little community. Hope to get all that paperwork set in place this week!

How was your weekend?

xo


No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger