To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

May 16, 2013

Road to a Healthier Me



I'm the girl who doesn't go to the dentist until I get a toothache!
It's terrible! Our insurance is fantastic and we get two free cleanings a year,
and I don't even take those.
 
Those days are done! Basically I had a major toothache this past week. Turns out there are 3 teeth right there together (wisdom tooth and the two other teeth beside it) that are causing the issues.
 
Wisdom tooth is gone! It took 10 minutes, I didn't even have to get put to sleep - not sore or anything! So I am definitely happy about that. I go in tomorrow for a filling on the second tooth and the third tooth needs a root canal...ugh!
 
Hopefully this will fix the issue/pain in my mouth.
 
If you look at my teeth (tooting my own horn here) there white, straight and clean...but the health of them is a different matter! Thanks mom and dad for the unhealthy teeth! I do brush, twice, daily, floss occasionally and mouth wash, but I HAVE to start going to the dentist more than once every 5 years to ensure healthy teeth and less root canals and fillings! Although if the fillings were pink, it wouldn't look so bad :)
 
With all this being said, I'm on a road to a healthier me.
 
I am blessed with high metabolism and skinny genes. Thanks mom!
With that being said, it doesn't mean I'm in the shape I need to be in, so starting this past weekend, the husband and I are on the road to a healthier lifestyle!
 
We go to the gym 3x a week, and the other 3x we do P90x Ab Ripper (holy hell!). We give ourselves one day off a week. We've also substituted junk foods with healthier alternatives.
 
Example, last night at our local Mexican restaurant. Instead of a greasy ground beef taco salad, I substituted with grilled chicken (he did the same) and it was delicious!
 
It doesn't seem like a lot, but I feel it's enough for us.
 
If you're looking for a quick fix, let's say for that summer vacay and you need to drop the pounds a lot quicker, Lauren Conrad's 7 days to skinnier jeans is a healthy way to do so, because you still get to eat, you just have to commit to yourself to only eat what is on the list, as well as the exercise. She provides a lot of different alternatives if you don't like a particular item,
so it makes it that much more easy!
 
 
xo
 
 
 


No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger