To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

August 8, 2013

20 at 20



The Huffington Post came out with an article "The 20 Things I wish Someone Told Me at 20"
It's amazing to read this and think, "damn that is so true!"
 
I wanted to share some of my favorites from the bunch...
 
Hold tight to your real friends.
 
You don't want to know how many times growing up I thought I had a true friend, to only realize months later that they were talking all sorts of things behind my back. Real friend? I think not!
I'm a firm believer in quality over quantity. I have 3 very close friends who I could call, right now, who would drop whatever it is they are doing and come be at my side. I take treasure in that!
 
If someone has cut you down, that is about THEM, not you!
 
I have found this useful, in the lives of others, and in my own. If I am ever a bitch to someone for no apparent reason, it is because I have something going on in my life and I just feel like I need to take it out on someone else. The same has happened to me. If only I would have realized this back then.
 
Education IS that Important
 
In a world of degrees, doctorates, and diplomas, an education is something that is going to permanently mark the foundation of your career. After I graduated from High-School, my parents supported my decision for college, however, they were not financially sound to pay for it like most parents. It's just the way it was. I don't blame my parents because they sacrificed so much to give me a private education in our horrible public school system in our county. I knew there was no way they could afford college, and I didn't ask.
 
I got a job right out of High-School as a baker. Cakes, cupcakes, cookies, lunches...so much fun! I had no cares or worries in the world, and never pursued college. I was blessed enough to find a better career, as much as I loved baking, that will financially prepare me for my extended future for myself and my family. Hindsight is 20/20, I wish I would have put myself through college. It's never too late, and it may be something I look into when the Princess gets a little older.
 
Trust the Calling on Your Heart
 
Wow! Just writing those words takes my breath away. I find the heart, the most amazing organ, because it's one that gives us feeling, pleasure, pain, happiness, and sadness. It protects us, and in return, sometimes we shelter it from what could be heartache. I say, take chances, never have
"what-ifs" and always go after what your heart wants!
 
Religion Will Be What Saves You When the World Goes Out
 
I have always tried my best to stick strong to my faith in God. I pray during dinner and during difficult times, I need to work on myself and pray when times are also good. I need to be more thankful for the gifts that he has given me, and continues to give me daily. He never fails us!
 
Consider the Other Side of the Story
 
This one is a tough one. When you're caught up in the heat of an argument or a difficult moment, it's always hard to look at it from the "other" persons side. If you're like me, than your hell bent on proving your point, and could care less about what the other person is thinking or going through.
 
I have been working on this one lately. Thinking about what the other person is saying, and realizing that if they have such a strong opinion against mine, than it must be important to them.
 
At the end of the day, as long as you respect me, our opinions can be different, it's what makes the world go round. If we all agree'd, all the time, it sure would be boring.
 
Listen to Your Still Small Voice
 
You know what their talking about with this one! It's those little moments, deep inside, your intuition that tells you to "don't take the elevator", "don't go to that party", "slow down" only to realize that a strange looking man walks into the elevator, you find out the party gets busted by the cops, and a wreck happened on that road. (yes, these all happened to me!) It's those little things that I listen to!
 
xo
 
 
 
 


No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger