To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

August 20, 2013

Southern Staples {Good, Bad & Ugly}



Lilly Pulitzer is one thing that I just will never understand. The clothing to me looks like someone killed a flamingo and turned that into an outrageously overpriced dress. I'm sure I'll get some hate mail for this, but I just don't get what the hype is about!

*****
Mason Jars however are amazing. They can be used for decor, whether it be table settings, storing, sweet tea or lemonade, and maybe possibly good ole fashion moon shine.
Mason Jar Save The Date
 Mason Jar Lighting!

Uses for Mason Jars - The Food Edition - Just Us Four
images via

*****

Monograms are something that you see very much of down here in the South. Whether it be a sticker on the back of a vehicle sporting your initials or your child's school abbreviation. It can be your name scripted on your monthly planner, or stitched into your favorite clutch. You can have any southern indicative logo (i.e. anchor) etched with your initials in your favorite coozie. You name it, you can have it monogrammed, and who can forget my personal favorite, adoring your kids shirts with their name plastered on the front, along with the matching bow. Damn straight I do all of the above!


*****

Coozies bring me to my next point. We rednecks down here in the south love a coozie, and most likely if you're a woman, you have a coozie to go with any outfit or occasion. If you're getting married 90% of the time your wedding favor is going to be a monogrammed coozie.



Last count, I had 38, yes it is an addiction!

*****

We will snap an iPhone pic anytime we have a river or marsh view, every.single.time.







*****

The boys around here like their trucks a bit higher than normal, and yes, for fun we have mud runs. Surprise, surprise, I have never been to one, I prefer to skeet shoot. For those who aren't aware it's where a machine shoots a "clay pigeon" or flying target. It's a lot of fun and I enjoy it!

*****

People make fun of the South, but most of the people who come down here and visit usually end up staying. There's nothing like smelling that salt water misting through the air, or the crisp smell of a bonfire on a chilly fall night. Down here in the South where I was born and raised one man loves one woman all his life, and he truly will give you his last dime. Chevy and Ford trucks are normally a boys only choice, and we grow our own fruits and vegetables. We pay the extra $0.25 by buying local to help product more job stability for our home town people. We fight hard, but love harder, and we are very passionate in our opinions. Family is truly every thing and we believe in God above everything else. We have faith during the bad times, and party during the good times. You respect your elders, and say yes sir and yes ma'am, and most likely you have an Aunt and an Uncle who aren't truly your Aunt and  your Uncle. I love the South, and couldn't imagine living anywhere else!



 

1 comment

  1. I have to say, I totally agree with the Lilly comment. I really don't get it, and can't imagine spending the money for it. Now maybe I'll get hate mail :P

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger