To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

April 15, 2014

Be Brave Enough to Start a Conversation That Matters

.

I came across this inspirational quote today on Pinterest and it hit me like a ton of bricks how true these nine little words are. Every important conversation is usually one that gives you butterflies in your tummy and sweaty palms, but in my experience once the words leave your lips you feel like a weight has been lifted off of your shoulders.

I remember the very first "big girl" conversation that I ever had with my parents were. I was telling them, at 17 years old, that I was moving out and moving in with Tarl. I remember being so very nervous. At this point, my parents knew that Tarl and I were serious (if you catch my drift). We had vacationed together, we both had graduated high school, and both had steady jobs. None-the-less it was a high intense conversation but I am glad that we all handled it with grace. As I have said before, they even helped us move into our first place together.

Other conversations aren't always as pleasant. My close friends and family know that I am not one to hold things in. I am a blatantly honest person. Most of the time this is a great trait, other times not so much. I have 3 siblings, and just like siblings do, we talk trash about each other to our parents, especially when we're aggravated with one another. The difference with me is, if I say something to mom or dad, I have said it to them first, or will say it to them after I get advice from mom. If I hear that a sibling  has talked negatively behind my back I will take it to their face and ask what I did to upset them. These conversations are always high-intense and usually very awkward, but at the end of the day we are one huge dysfunctional family with spouses and children of our own. We argue big, make up and move on. I have two sisters whom I love dearly. Each of them has their own special characteristic that brings us close.

LaTesha, although we don't talk daily, is the sister who I can count on anytime. Through all of my parents health issues over the years, she has been the glue that has held all of us (not just me) together. She has been a calm voice in a not so calm time. She is absolutely amazing in the fact that, although she is hurting and just as scared as the rest of us, she stands strong knowing that it makes us feel better. She can also be short, quiet, and down right bitchy...I guess that's where I get it from! Tesha is like a true friend in the fact that although you may not talk daily, you pick up right where you left off when you do.

Angela is my second sister. I talk to her at least four times a week. I consider her to be a sister first, and a fun friend second. When we get together all we do is laugh. It's refreshing knowing that I can have someone to be quirky and silly around. Someone that you don't have to act mature around all the time. Angela can also be aggravating. (I love you but you can be!) She is also someone I consider to be a bit hypocritical or "double-standard" if you will. Once again, good traits and bad traits, we all have them.  We've argued and gone days without talking, by the time we make up we have so much gossip to catch up on, that we've forgotten what we have fought about in the first place.

Lord knows I am not perfect. I am far from it. I sin and fail Him daily. I am some times a sucky wife, sucky mom, sucky sibling, sucky daughter. Some times I am too tired or too lazy to even deal with certain things, but learning from our mistakes is what grounds and molds us into the person we become.


**I am guest posting tomorrow...stay tuned!





No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger