To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

August 20, 2014

Look what I found!

Wrap up 25 Christmas books and number them (optional) Then let your children unwrap one book to read a night from December 1st leading up to Christmas. Love this tradition.

When I first saw the idea of reading a book each night through December leading up to Christmas I was sold! I'm all about the holidays, Christmas in particular, so any new tradition that involves family has me hooked. I loved the idea of Cadence unwrapping one gift beginning December 1st - Christmas Eve. One book for each day. I wanted to do it last year but time got the best of me, but today I started my collection.

Let me start off by saying that books can be very expensive. Children's books in particular. They get you with their colorful colors. Thick hard back covers and of course wildly illustrated pages, but look for the bargains! I had to go to Staples for work today and there in a sea of books were two large, colorful hard back kids books, on sale for just $3.99. Each book is normally $19.99. I couldn't grab them fast enough.




What can I say, books make me happy. I love reading them and Cadence and Tarl love listening as I do. I'm that person who has a voice for each character. Yep, that's me! The Gingerbread Man is perfect for the Christmas season and of course we had to add a Disney princess in the mix.

It's all about finding bargains. I refuse to pay $5+ on a book knowing I have 24 to buy. The Dollar Tree where each book is a $1 also has a lot of options. Also, check with your local library. Sometimes they offer book sales where they sale books starting at $.025. Can't beat a quarter for a book!

Start now, that way when December arrives you have the books ready to wrap. It's something that your child will look forward to each night before bed, plus it will add to their growing book collection.

Two down, 22 more to go.

I'm so ready for Christmas!


P.S. I have some blog posts you don't want to miss to finish off this week. Including the perfect fall colors for your nails and the best hair brush, ever!




No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger