To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

November 24, 2014

Charleston Fun Day

Bella And The City
What a fun weekend it was and oh how quickly it passed.

On Friday night our small little town came together on Main Street for what we call the Holiday Merchant Open House, where each local business stays open later than normal and offers prizes, raffles, and goodies. There is also local performers who sing/dance and even Santa is present. It was a lot of fun and my nephew, Dean, sang and played his guitar as one of the singing acts. 



Cadence loved meeting Mrs. Clause! She has met Santa quite a few times but never Mrs. Clause. She was very excited about this because Mrs. Clause is the gal who takes care of Olly (our Elf on the Shelf) all year until he comes to our home for Christmas.

She also got to help decorate gingerbread cookies with her. It was so fun!





While Dean was performing Cadence found some friends from school and went and sat by them. It's such a precious sight seeing them dance and play together. 


All the businesses have amazing window displays ready for Christmas - I can't believe I only took one photo of one store because it was all so festive and colorful.

I purchased this hand painted ornament from a local gift shop in town.
Obsessed with it! Very indicative of the Lowcountry and it now graces our tree!


On Saturday we woke up and decided to head to Charleston for the day.
We adore Charleston and go there every chance we can. 



King Street + Starbucks...yes!

We ate lunch at one of our favorite spots, California Dreaming. The food is delicious but the view is unbelievable! If you can score a window seat when you eat, you have a perfect view of the Charleston Harbor along with all the boats and yachts.






The fried crab claws are a must eat for me every time!



Tic-Tac-Toe is serious between these two!

After we ate lunch we headed to downtown and drove around looking at the beautiful houses on those narrow side streets. Tarl and I dream of owning one some day. 



We parked and walked around downtown and found the neatest little shop right off King Street. Not sure what the little side street was called but it is directly off King.

They sell building blocks but they have tons of displays that they have built inside that are all standing by balance alone, no glue or other support.

They also have a huge carpet in the center with blocks and books where you can build your own. We built a chair.







I also found this glass vanity trimmed in white and wanted it immediately. Too bad the price wasn't in my range, but a girl can dream! Cadence loved it just as much as I did.



We looked around some more before heading home.




Everything in Charleston is now decorated for Christmas and it's stunning!

Coburg even has their Eggnog cow on display - tis' the Season!



I'm ready to tackle this 2 1/2 day work week, then it's Thanksgiving time with the family. 
Tarl and I are also getting a kid-free weekend this Friday & Saturday since my sweet mother-in-law wanted to spend some time with Cadence. I can't wait to share what the two of us have planned with you!


1 comment

  1. I love this time of year, I can't wait until our town has their Christmas stroll, its similar to yours..they close down the street and the stores have snacks and drinks and lots of good deals :) Charleston looks fabulous, my hubbys folks have a place there and always invite us we need to take them up on that offer! Those crab claws just made me hungry, I wish southern California had them :( Enjoy the rest of your week girl!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger