To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

November 5, 2014

My View on the Holidays

If I want to put my decorations up prior to Thanksgiving, guess what? I'm going to do just that!
If you want to wait until after Thanksgiving, that's OK too. I completely understand, however DO NOT post idiotic things on FB about people who decorate prior to Thanksgiving. It DOES NOT mean that I forgot about the holiday or am skipping over it, it just means that I think Christmas decor is gorgeous and I want to get as many days looking at it as I can.

If I want to go Christmas shopping late Thanksgiving night to save my family over $200+, guess what? I'm going to go. I enjoy Black Friday shopping. I know that over the years it has turned into late night Thanksgiving shopping into the early morning of Black Friday but I like it. I love grabbing a Starbucks and scouting out the best deals. Standing in line with my sister talking and laughing while waiting to checkout. Those are memories that I'm making and the savings are incredible.
Once again, it doesn't mean I'm skipping over Thanksgiving, because guess what? I didn't. I enjoyed a nice sit down meal with my family and my in-laws. I spent time with everyone, laughing and enjoying the company as did my husband and our child. Late at night on Thanksgiving all we do is watch TV and sleep, so it's not like I'm missing out on Thanksgiving itself, because I'm not.

I'm also not against stores being open for Thanksgiving. Yes, I'm sure most employees don't want to work it, but guess what I've been in the food business and we were open long hours on special occasions, every Saturday and on major holidays to ensure that we got baked goods out to people who ordered them. Did I want to work it? Hell no! But guess what? It was a job. It was my job. It paid and for that I will be forever grateful! It sure beats the alternative of not having a job in this starving economy of ours. My husband worked in retail for a very long time while we were in high school. He helped his parents with bills, put gas in his car and had spending money for date nights with moi, but guess what? He had to work Black Friday, and other holidays, late hours, all nighters on inventory. Alas, it was his job, he got paid to do it and he was happy to have it at the time. 

My point on this post is, everyone has their beliefs. Some opinions are different then others. That's what makes the world go round, however regardless of difference or personal preference we should all respect each other's opinion. 

Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas!




No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger