To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

November 18, 2014

Favorite Things | Christmas 2014

These are a few of my favorite things - link up to join the fun!


I love this time of year. The sights, smells, food, decor, everything about it. I love gifting but some times it's also fun to receive and this is my lust list for Christmas...

New York always has and always will be #1. Here's hoping...but for now I'll share with you these goodies I've had my eye on.



I remember back when vests were not something you wore. For a long time they were a thing of the past but they have made a huge come back and I'm so happy to say that they have. Puffer, fur lined, monogrammed, tweed...you name it there is a vest for it. I've been on the lookout for a navy vest. I also wanted the vest to provide some warmth and not just be something pretty to look out, lo and behold my ole tween dream store, Hollister, had just what I was looking for. The color, hood, and the fact that it is lined with warmth...le sigh.

If you're like me in loving it, now is the time to buy. It's 50% off!


Plaid is in. Plaid is on point. To say I can't get enough of plaid is true. I have countless plaid shirts and cannot wait to get my hands on a plaid scarf. My man knows that one is on my Christmas list and this one by Zara is on point. It's full, looks cozy and the price isn't going to break the bank. 



Oh Nars, why must you make a dreamy contour brush and put a price tag of $50 on it?
I just cannot imagine paying $50 for one brush. I know you get what you pay for, but it's a bit steep for my budget, so why not put it on my Christmas list? 

Just in case you haven't heard about the Ita Brush, it's every YouTube vloggers best friend for contouring and I hope to have my hands on it come Christmas morning. 


This Hoola Bronzer by Benefit has been something I've had in my hands and put back right before I check out. I feel like there are certain makeup items that I splurge on, concealer being #1. Other items I buy at the drugstore when the product serves it's purpose, like bronzer. One of my drugstore favorites is NYC's Sunny bronzer, which is a good dupe but it's high time I try this one out. This and the Ita brush are two peas in a pod if you ask me. 



Sigh. These beautiful booties are absolute perfection. They need to be in my closet. 
Nuff' said!


I'm a huge collector in eyeshadow palettes. I have one too many as it is but I just cannot resist the colors, packaging and smell of this Too Faced Chocolate Bar. Seriously, run, don't walk to your nearest Ulta and get a whif of this thing. It smells dreamy and the colors are so pigmented from the swatches that I did while in Ulta recently. 

----------

While we're in the talks of Christmas, I wanted to share our Christmas itinerary. 
Each night of December we do something as a family, whether it's as simple as watching a Christmas movie, reading a book or baking cookies. There are other nights where we go all out and do something like ice skating or a big light display. 

It's hard to come up with something for 24 nights leading up to Christmas Day, but if you are doing the same with your family this list might just help you.

First with the display...we use this advent calendar that hangs on Cadence's bedroom door I put the pink and green sticky notes folded inside along with a candy cane hershey kiss.

Each morning she pulls out the sticky note and reads what we do while eating her morning kiss. Let me preface by stating one candy kiss in the morning isn't going to spoil her breakfast appetite :) It is the Christmas season after all.



This is the advent calendar and TBH I cannot remember where we got it as we have had it for years now, but don't fret they have tons of cute ones at Target, Walmart, and even the dollar store!


And here are all the sticky notes - a total of 24!

December 2014 Nightly Events

1 – pick out special ornament

Each year we go to Walmart and pick out one special ornament for our Christmas tree. We get one for each of us, go home and write our name and the year and add it to our Christmas tree. Tarl and I have done this ever since our first Christmas back in 2004 and it is something that we look forward to annually. Our tree is filled with wonderful memories all because of a little ornament. The rule is that we all have to agree on the ornament, even our little gal.

2 – Festival of Trees

3 – Read/Watch Elf on the Shelf

4 – Christmas parade

5 – Christmas Tree Lighting

6 – Charleston Lights

By far our most favorite annual tradition. We always plan this on a Saturday, leave mid-afternoon and head to Charleston. We walk around downtown, then head to dinner. Afterwards we drive through James Island and look at all the lights. We stop in Santa's Workshop (a little shop on site) and have some Hot Chocolate and a treat for dessert. 

7 – Roast Marshmallows

8 – Do a Christmas Craft

I look to Pinterest for this. Construction paper and some glue and voila a night of fun with the family.

9 – Watch a Christmas Movie

10 – Ride and See Christmas Lights

11 – Buy a present for mom and dad

Cadence loves buying a present for each of us, a long with helping wrap it up, so one night during December we'll go up to a little shop up town and Tarl and I will take turns walking her in, letting her pick out a little something, and then going home and wrapping it. Her little face always lights up when we open it on Christmas morning.

12 – The Journey

This is local to Savannah and put on by Savannah Christian Church. It takes you through the true story of Christmas, the birth of our Lord & Savior, Jesus. 

13 – Ice Skating

14 – Christmas with my Sister

My sister, Angela, and her family cannot come to our big family gathering on Christmas day due to my nephew, Devin's immune deficiency disease. Him going out in the cold and being around a lot of people could compromise his immune system. So each year we go over to there house, eat dinner, open gifts and make memories.

15 – Make goody bags and cupcakes for Cadence's Birthday @ school

16 – Happy Birthday Cadence!!!

17 – Play a board game

We try to mix it up, but our crazy kid always chooses Candy Land :)

 18 – Ride around & look @ Savannah Lights

Being locals we know all the good spots. The million dollar mansions and the gorgeous mossy oak lanes that put on a display. We do this more than one night in December, but one night is always dedicated to doing it.

19 – Smore’s by the Fire

20- Go to a Christmas Party

21-Do a Christmas Craft

22- Watch a Christmas Movie

23-Make Christmas Treats for family

24- Open One Present, Merry Christmas Eve

It's tradition that we open one present on Christmas Eve. 

So what are your favorite things this year? Any traditions you're looking forward to?



6 comments

  1. That vest and scarf look fabulous! I need them both, thanks Santa! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun! I love having an activity to do as a family each night. I think it's great that she gets to open it in the morning that way she has something to look forward to each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the advent calendar and post it ideas. Wish I could pull off booties, those are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the advent calendar idea! I've been trying to think of something fun to do with our daughter. I may have to borrow this idea. And everything on your list! Yes! I love vests, plaid and just put some Two Faced eyeshadow on my list too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoola is my favorite bronzer of all time! :)
    Thanks for linking up with us, Miranda!!! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger