To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

November 3, 2014

Thanksgiving Is Here

I don't know about y'all but I absolutely adore this time of year. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and I know I say that about each holiday but I truly love when my family gets together, when we eat and talk over a large home cooked meal and when we start preparing for Christmas together. Plus the shopping on Black Friday and the official beginning of Christmas time. 

With that being said I took all of my Halloween decor down yesterday and added a few more things for Thanksgiving. Most of my decor for fall is just that. Nothing really embodies Halloween and/or Thanksgiving but I do have a few pieces that scream one or the other so I switched them out and now we're all ready for Turkey Day in our house.

As soon as you enter my house we have this monogrammed pumpkin with a burlap bow hanging on our front door. I am in love with this and a local gal made this for us. Isn't it beautiful?


After you enter our entry table is there to greet you made to my specifications by my very crafty father-in-law. I've posted about it before but I just love it. We have the burlap cloth along with all my pumpkins and a free printable I found online.



We added the Happy Thanksgiving sign directly above our Fall banner (which you can't even read due to the bright light that the sun brought in when I took the pic)


We use our little side living room table for drinks and plates and snacks while we watch family movies so I don't over pack it with decor. A simple glitter pumpkin, pumpkin scented candle and a glass pumpkin filled with candy corn. Well not so much anymore, but you get the idea :)



Cadence also made this turkey family for us. Naturally it now graces our fridge until Christmas rolls around and she draws something indicative of that holiday. Love love love my girl and that she loves her family. She even drew a turkey Hector and a turkey Rosie.


I'm not going to lie, with the weather turning so cold on Saturday I was very tempted to decorate for Christmas, but unfortunately was stuck in bed with a head cold so simple decor for Thanksgiving it was. 

I was feeling much better on Sunday so we headed to downtown Savannah to get our first red cups of the season. Ahh - love this time of year!




We always try to park on a street rather than a parking garage that way we can enjoy the scenery between point A and B. We did just that and wound up walking directly through Oglethorpe Square and just like most squares in Savannah it was adorned with tall oaks and cobblestone bricks. 



We may or may not have listened to Christmas on Pandora while driving to Savannah.


While we were in the spirit cookies were a must so I broke out the cookie cutters and we decorated until our little hearts desire!

Also a side note, you can see how many times we have cooked pizzas on that pan of ours. Time to get a new one I suppose :)


Before we jump right into Thanksgiving our Halloween was great. We enjoyed lots of candy, trick or treating and time with family. Cadence went as Hello Kitty and I was a good witch. Everyone loved my wig and everyone got a chance at trying it on. Best $5 ever spent for the laughs we got outta that thing!






I also made a Halloween themed dinner prior to trick or treating. Mummy dogs, jack o lantern salad and witches noses (Doritos).


I finished the weekend cozy in bed watching Hallmark Christmas movies.


Let the work week begin...




1 comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger