To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

March 19, 2014

A Memory That Has Lasted Forever




The Daily Tay


I can't wait for Summer due to obvious reasons. Warm weather, long nights, maxi dresses, short shorts, flip flops, sandals and sun kissed skin, however Summer always holds a special place in my heart because it was a very special Summer that changed my life forever, which also brings me to the fact that I never told y'all how Tarl and I met, here goes...


I had just finished my 10th grade year of high school. It was the only year that I got home school'ed and it just wasn't for me. The lack of social interaction and greasy cafeteria food was something that I craved, and so my big sister and I started to scout out schools for me to attend.


We ended up choosing a school 30 minutes away, but one that peaked my interest due to the fact that I didn't know anyone there. Fresh start to a new high school life. The day my mom went to sign me up, was the start of baseball practice for the high school boys, and one boy in particular was so unbelievably attractive. I kept my eye on him the entire time (thank goodness for dark tinted sunglasses - you can stalk without them knowing it!). Said boy came up to the fence to grab his baseball bat, looked up at me, and winked. I may have had sunglasses on, but he didn't and that wink definitely happened, unfortunately the sunglasses did not cover up the goofy smile I had plastered on my face.


I was all signed up and ready for school. There were still two months of Summer before my Junior year started and I spent most of my days at my sisters house. She had a pool, four wheeler, and hanging out with your parents when you're 15 just isn't fun, plus she would let me have a hit of her cigarette. True story. Angela if you're reading this you are a bad girl for letting me do that. Mom if you're reading this, it's all true and Angela needs a whipping!


Yes, smoking is disgusting, but at 15 it made me feel like a bad ass....classy, I know!


Anyways, onto the story...


So Angela and I were laying out one day in her backyard, soaking up that warm Summer sun, when lo and behold that same cute baseball winking boy pulled up in the neighbors yard. I was smitten, and my little A cup boobs got perkier by me pushing out my chest, I made my booty pop, and used my hand to make sure that every strand of hair was in it's proper place. I wanted to be the sexiest girl laying out, that he had ever seen.


It was then Angela said that she knew this boy, and that her neighbors were his grandparents.
 Meant to be? Absolutely! It was then I told Angela about how our love story met while he was at baseball practice, and it was then she told me that Billy, my brother-in-law, could set us up, because Billy knew his grandparents well. Score one for me!


That same day of laying out, Angela snapped some goofy pictures of us being silly sisters. Laying out, and a few of me by myself. Turns out Billy showed those same pictures to Tarl, when he said that I wanted to meet him. Really Billy, couldn't you have been more smooth than that? I went from being a girl he winked at, to desperate in seconds...oh well, our love story didn't last long, or so I thought.


Turns out, he ended up calling me that same week, came over to Angela's where we first officially met, and where we eventually had our first hand hold, hug, and kiss.


Turns out the rest is history, and here we are 12 years later, married with a child of our own.


Love stories do exist, and we are living proof! It may not involve a missing glass slipper or a poisoned apple, but it's ours and it's my favorite!


Ready for those summer memories to come on back, along with the warm weather, and maybe a mojito, or two!

1 comment

  1. ohhh what a sweet story. its incredible, my husband and i have dated for almost 10 years now (we met in highschool too!) so great that it happened during summer :) thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger