To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

March 26, 2014

Confession: Meltdowns Are Real!

I've thought about posting this for a while, and no better time than Confessions with Vodka & Soda!

Meltdowns happen, often. If you are pregnant and think that your little one is going to be the poster child for well-behaved children, you are dead wrong. At some point in every child's life they are going to say or do something, and when you discipline them, meltdowns are going to occur, let me explain...

Cadence is very well behaved. She is respectful, says her "maam's and sirs, please and thank yous" and rarely talks back. We are always getting compliments when we go out to eat on how quiet and nice she is being, and as parents we are so proud in the fact that we raised her to have respect, but let's go behind closed doors.

Cadence, for some reason, has started testing our boundaries at home. She is starting to see how far she can go with a sassy attitude or talking back. Sometimes it's cute, and other times I want to put her nose in the corner. Case in point; this morning. I asked her to pick up her dirty clothes and put them in the laundry basket, she did without hesitation, but then came into the bathroom as I was getting ready and said, "I guess I'm not a real princess, real princesses don't have to do laundry." Where does she come up with this stuff?!
I proceeded in telling her that she is a real princess but that even Princesses have to clean their room and do their chores, this is how they learn their respect and values.

Que the sassy attitude...

Cadence then chimes in, I watch all the Princess shows and none of them clean their room. At this point I was done. My five year old child was giving me all this hassle over picking up two pairs of dirty clothes and having to walk 3 feet to place them in the hamper. Um...no!

I got aggravated, told Cadence that she is mine and her daddy's princess, but that she will always have chores, point blank and to quit the sassing because true Princesses don't sass their mothers (the queen!).

Saying that, caused this:


I didn't yell, scold or discipline, just those few little words and bam...meltdown! It happens. We, as parents, need to realize that these meltdowns are inevitable. 

So I confess:

Although my child is a sweetheart, she's still going to cry over nothing and that's perfectly OK because who doesn't want to be a Princess and do nothing all day? She just figured it out sooner than most :)





9 comments

  1. little C looks like 3-4yrs old? that's a really emotional age for them. we never went through the terrible 2s with kayla but age 3-4? OMFG i wanted to blow my brains out. she cried more during those years than when she was an actual baby and EVERYTHING was like the world was falling apart and she would cry and whine and give attitude. it's the age.

    but at 5, things are WONDERFUL!!!

    until they get to be teens. that's when we pack up and run for the hills

    thanks for linking up!! and make yourself known! your blog is fabulous to be hidden away in the community :)

    thanks for linking up!

    -kathy | Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, it's good to learn that early.

    I often want to cry as an adult and know to reign it in. Little kids don't! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be scared of a child who was perfect all the time- total drone or robot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's important that kids understand that at a young age..i can see how that could be hard to watch though :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha she looks cute even with the meltdown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl, the meltdowns... they always start younger than you expect. She really is a cutie pie though and the things that come out of their mouths during one can be hilarious. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm 23 and I still want to be a princess and do nothing all day! It's a tough lesson to learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is SO real! I don't have kids but I have a little brother. He's 10 now. I remember the terrible 2s. And 3s. Everything was "Why?" and "I don't want to." It sounds like you're handling it well though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally normal behavior -- testing boundaries, having attitude problems. Apparently, it never goes away, just changes, so hang in there :).

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger