To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

May 23, 2014

Happy Friday Y'all!

Wow - this is my 300th post! I started Life in the Lowcountry a little over a year ago and am so happy with the "blog friends" that I have made and the support system that comes along with it. I've had some wonderful opportunities by having this little ole blog of mine and can't wait to see what my next 300 posts bring.

Onto the Friday Five...

I'm loving some Walmart clothes right now. I know what you're thinking, Walmart? Really? Yes - because clothes that are comfortable, fit great, look great and have a price tag of around $10, well in my opinion it just doesn't get better than that. True story - look alike maxi dress (below) in the mall was $40, now why wouldn't I save that $30? Get the point?

Walmart maxi dresses are the perfect summer work outfit, as well as their skinnies. I plan to go back and get a few more pair in an assortment of colors.





//

We have some beautiful beaches here in South Carolina. It's one of the main reasons we have thousands of tourists visit our beautiful state each year. The sand is white and the beaches go on for miles. The one thing that we do not have is crystal clear blue water. Our water is more of a murky gray/green. It's not dirty, just not "Bahamas". 

If you haven't heard yet, the water in Folly Beach (Charleston for all who don't know) has "mysteriously" turned into the most beautiful blue color as of Tuesday.Scientists have determined that it has something to do with the calcium carbonate - whatever that is...

We are going to try our best and make a day trip out to Folly Beach this Saturday, to have a little bit of the Caribbean here at home. For more on the story and actual pictures, click here.

//

Over the years Tarl and I have remodeled rooms in our home. We started with our bathroom, then our living room, and most recently our bedroom. Cadence's room is adorned with pinks and lovely pastel hues, so the only real thing to do with her room is to replace the carpet with wood flooring. The next "big" project is our kitchen and this picture, found here, gives me all the inspiration I need.




I love the color contrast between the natural wood and bright white. Add a pop of color like they did with the flowers and voila, amazing! The open shelves are a perfect replacement for cabinets and the solid white tile gives it a clean finish. When we eventually remodel our kitchen, this is the look I'm going for.

//

It seems like I am always changing out my picture frame in the living area to coordinate with the Holiday. It sounds lazy I know, but trying to get the picture perfectly centered in the picture frame is a pain in the rear and I've been looking for that perfect print out for summer - well I have found it and it is so indicative of who we are and where we live!

Under the boardwalk...

//

It's Friday and it's a long weekend. I'll be taking a weekend break from the blog to enjoy it with my family. Happy Memorial Day everyone! :)


4 comments

  1. Love that dress! I don't have any shopping options near our house besides Walmart so I often check out their clothes/jewlery/accessories section because your right, it's great prices! :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miranda! I love those green pants! That is a great color! I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom just got me that dress as a surprise because I am really into navy and white stripes. I am loving it, definitely one of my summer essentials. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your 300th post! And that dress is super cute and when the maxis look alike no matter what the price is, why spend more? :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger