To describe our growing up in the lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation, scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, 'There. That taste. That's the taste of my childhood.' - Pat Conroy

September 21, 2015

Big Apple Recap

This weekend was absolutely amazing.
As a 'wannabe' journalist/writer, you'd think I'd have a better use of words to describe New York, but I just can't. Amazing pretty much sums it up.

Our flight took off Friday morning at around 11:30am. We flew JetBlue and it got us into JFK within only an hour and a half. Can't beat that!

I got strapped into my window seat as tight as possible. Prayed to the Good Lord to let our plane make it safely to the city, all the while thinking to myself, what in the heck is a seat belt and life vest going to do for me if we plummet to the earth at 600 miles per hour, 35,000 feet in the air?

Thankfully we made it safely, and the clouds were beautiful - I still hate flying though!






I did a little research and found out that you could take the AirTrain from JFK to the subway and ride the subway directly into Manhattan. It only costs $5, compared to a $60 cab ride and absolutely no traffic! This was definitely the way to go and something I will do from now on when we go. 


We dropped our bags at the hotel and took a straight shot to Saks!
I couldn't contain my excitement!


We went straight to their own zip code floor, which is the shoe floor! 10022SHOE - holla!


As you can tell, we were pretty excited :)


I was hell bent to try on a pair of red bottoms (Christian Louboutin's). 


They were gorgeous. They were expensive ($2,000). They were sparkly and perfect. They hurt my feet. 


Being a Sex and the City lover for all these years, my #1 thing to try on though was a Manolo Blahnik, and then I saw her, the most perfect shoe you ever did see. Almost like she was made just for me!


These gorgeous babies were only $695, yeah, only - haha!
Of course, I had to pass. Wish I would have had an extra $700 lying around.
The Blahniks were definitely more comfortable than the Loubs in my opinion, and they were pink, and they were sparkly. Pure perfection!


I texted Tarl after trying on the girls. I asked if I could just swipe his credit card and it could be my birthday gift/Christmas gift/anniversary gift all in one. He said no. I have to admit, I contemplated swiping it regardless...but I didn't want to have to sleep at my parents once I got home, so I sadly put them back, with tears stinging my eyes...maybe next time Saks, maybe next time.

After Saks we walked around on the East Side for a while, checking out the sights and seeing some of the "must-sees".

Rockefeller Center

Chrysler Building

Versace

Trump Tower

Last time in New York when Tarl and I went, I did go into Tiffany's, but not their signature store on 5th. I only went into the one in the Financial District. This time I was dead set to visit the original Tiffany's. The one Audrey Hepburn visited all the time, staring into glass windows with a croissant in her hand.



St. Patrick's Cathedral


Dylan's Candy Bar is one of the most amazing candy stores, ever!
Three stories of pure sweetness, literally.




After Dylan's, we were starving, so we decided to get a little snack before our dinner reservations at Tavern on the Green. Seeing as how Serendipity was just a few doors down from Dylan's, we headed there. Angela and I each got something different so we could share and try more things. Frozen Hot Chocolate and Pineapple Lime...they were so delicious, but our favorite was the pineapple lime, we actually had three over the course of our stay, because yeah, they were that good!



After our tasty treats, we decided to knock one of our Gossip Girl things off the list, Constance Billiard. If you're not familiar with GG, it's where they went to school.

Granted there isn't a real Constance Billiard, there is a real location, and it's the Museum of New York on the upper east side.


How many times did Dan and Serena walk up those steps, along with Chuck Bass, Nate and Blair?
Swoon!

After seeing Constance, we took a stroll through Central Park.
Our dinner reservations at Tavern on the Green weren't until 8pm, so we took our time, walked slow and just enjoyed it. It is stunning!





Bow Bridge

Bethesda Fountain


Around this time my phone died. As in completely drained, turned off on it's own, dead, so no pics from Tavern on the Green. I will tell you, the ambiance is incredible. We sat outside and had beautiful views of Central Park, the food however, wasn't anything to write home about. It's wasn't nasty, but for the price, it wasn't that great either. Glad to say I ate there, however I wouldn't do it again. 

After dinner, we headed back to the hotel, freshened up (and charged our phones)!
It was time for dessert. We honestly contemplated about going back to Serendipity, but both agree'd we would just wait until Saturday and go back, so next best thing, cheesecake! 

Particularly, Juniors Cheesecake.





While eating our cheesecake, across from Broadway, we noticed a lot of people swarmed around getting autographs. Turned out it was Keira Knightly (Pirates of the Caribbean). I snapped a pic, granted it's not the best quality, but that's her in the fedora.


After dessert we called it a night, went to the hotel and unpacked, and that's when I found this...

love that man!


On Saturday we got up bright and early and started our day.
Last time I had the opportunity to take a picture with a true NYPD cop, this time I wanted to get a picture with an FDNY firefighter, so that's just what I did :)

I've always been partial to firefighters anyways - hah!


We headed to Soho and had Balthazar's world famous croissants.



...and it was every bit as good as it looks.

Next on the list was Herald Square!



China Town, and a little something for Cadence :)

Flatiron building


If you watch Million Dollar Listing New York like I do, than you know all about Fredrick, well Fredrick lives in the apartment building above, isn't it so pretty?!

Washington Square Park


Remember 432 Park, New York's tallest apartment building I told you about last week. Well above is 432 Park...I'll take the penthouse please!

By this time, we were hungry, so we wanted to try Serendipity's food, instead of just their frozen treats. Angela and I shared the meatloaf and mashed potatos and this will now be a must for me every trip. We may or may not have gotten another Frozen Pineapple Lime, but I'll let you decide...


We headed to the financial district after lunch, and of course saw Freedom Tower.
It still took my breath away even knowing what it looked like already.




After going into Brooklyn, seeing a lot of goodies at Macy's, visiting the "Friends" building in the West Village and spending an hour in E.L.F. we were beat, tired and our feet were hurting, so we decided to get dinner to go. We got the infamous Shake Shack burgers and took them back to our hotel. They were every bit as delicious as they look!

Yum!

We stayed in our room for an hour. Laughing, eating, talking about our days. It was just nice having that down time together chatting about sisterly things. 

I took a much needed shower and washed some of the city off of me, took my contacts out, got comfy and refreshed and headed for dessert. Guess where?!

Serendipity! I know it seems this is all we did, but I promise you, we ate, and a lot!
But this, was our favorite.


Just look at that pink ceiling and sparkly chandelier, I know one little girl who would love to have her room like this :)


one last frozen hot chocolate

On Sunday, we got up, got dressed and ventured out into the city one last time before our flight left that afternoon.

The Palace Hotel - where Serena Van Der Woodsen lived


We rode the Subway one last time, and saw a few other things we wanted to see and then headed to JFK to board our flight home. 

we were ready to see our families!


Got off in Savannah and saw this sweet little thing waiting on me!


Look at that precious girl holding the sign she made for me!


Until next time New York...





No comments

Post a Comment

I love reading all your comments just make sure that you are not a no-reply blogger so I can respond!

Life in the Lowcountry ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Revel and Design - Powered by Blogger